Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-24-2008

saltypat is an unknown quantity at this point
Beckson port gasket

Hi,
We have Beckson ports on our Endeavour 33. I have a few leakiing. I bought some port gaskets. I have the instructions for replacing them. My problem is that the gaskets appear somewhat round compared to what is now in place - I am wondering if they "flatten" after installation- I hestitated in forging ahead wondering if I bought the wrong part......

Of course ther installation instructions have no pictures.

Thanks, Saltypat
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, they flatten after getting squished by the port closing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-24-2008
phallo 1, Gustav 0

phallo153 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltypat View Post
Hi,
We have Beckson ports on our Endeavour 33. I have a few leakiing. I bought some port gaskets. I have the instructions for replacing them. My problem is that the gaskets appear somewhat round compared to what is now in place - I am wondering if they "flatten" after installation- I hestitated in forging ahead wondering if I bought the wrong part......

Of course ther installation instructions have no pictures.

Thanks, Saltypat
I have an '88 Pearson and yes, those gaskets are round when they are new - they flatten out over the years. I thought the same thing when I started to replace mine.

Be careful when closing them with the new gaskets, though. The lens can be difficult to secure with the new gasket, and if you screw the dogs down too tight, you can crack the mount for the dog assembly - especially if the ports are pretty old. They're molded into the port so the only option is to replace the whole thing.

If you haven't installed them yet, a few tips:
  • Put the gaskets in the sun for a bit, or warm them up somehow.
  • Make sure the channel that they go into is clean.
  • Stretch them a bit, like you would a balloon before you blow it up, but be careful you don't stretch the seam.
  • Use the butt of a screw driver or something to help press them into place, or you'll soon have some very sore thumbs! You can almost feel them snap in.
  • As you're putting them in, stretch as you go - don't wait until the last bit of gasket before you start to stretch it. Make it a lot easier to install that last 25% or so if there's already enough 'slack' in the gasket.
  • Keep a notepad a pencil handy to jot down all the new variations of cuss words you'll come up with. These can be a real pain to put in!

Old 05-24-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Don't forget to back off on the dogs, since the new gaskets will not require the compression the old ones did... This will prevent the cracking that Phallo mentions.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-25-2008

saltypat is an unknown quantity at this point
Ready to try it!

Thanks for all the tips- I am off to install.

Much appreciated,

SaltyPat
Old 05-25-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Also..

Yes, they will flatten out. Also don't forget to clean out the groove where the gasket is pushed into.

As others have said DO NOT over tighten with new gaskets. These ports get brittle with age!

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.