Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-25-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

craigtoo will become famous soon enough craigtoo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
SD See below!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
8:1 is probably overkill on almost everything. You're on a 34' boat...

C'mon... guy can dream can't he????

I also notice that you're using single line reefing. I would highly recommend you use double-line reefing, as it gives you much more control over the reefed sail's shape IMHO and is faster and easier to use.

I'm searching around now on that...Double line.. does that use a separate control line for the clew and Tack? You gotta sailnet link? I'm sure that's been discussed 1000's of times...I've come up empty..

I'd also agree that having line clutches on the pole life and downhaul are a bad idea.

Cool... I'll kill em.. I like the idea of putting a small 2:1 up front for the downhaul and keeping it simple on the cabin top.

Finally, you'll probably want to angle the line organizers a bit more, so that the two or three lines are running very close to each other, rather than spread out the way you have them on the drawing. This is to minimize the deck area they take up and help reduce the tripping hazard.

Yeah.. totally... this is more just to keep the concept clear....trust me...we'll get to that... heh

Thanks all!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I love
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtoo View Post
but with a short fine tune as well.. that could be 4:1 and give you lots of power for the last few inches of trim. 8:1 is going to mean an awful lot of line to pull through all the time, and it will be slow when the loads are light.

What would that look like? How do I rig in a fine tune? I think I've seen something like it before but I can't get my head around it right now..hmm
With mid boom sheeting this is more difficult due to the short fall of the sheet tackle.. The diagram below (with minimized parts for simplicity) is one way to install a fine tune but requires that the fine tune be led forward and aft on the cabintop to a cleat.

Red is mainsheet (4 to 6:1) and blue is fine tune (3-4:1) should work OK on your boat. We have a 34 foot frac rig with a big main, using 4:1 on both, it's minimal - the fine tune works fine, (functionally 16:1) but we have a tall bridgedeck so we have limited adjustment. The 4:1 mainsheet hardens up pretty early - we may go to 6:1 one day. I do like the reduced line on the cockpit floor and the speed of the 4:1 though.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-25-2008
Sailor

Plumper is on a distinguished road
I trim my traveler by hand with no problem but there is a winch handy if I ever needed one.
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
Shakespeare, Julius Caesar IV, iii, 217
Old 05-25-2008
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Sabre - I have 34' and 4:1. With the winds we have here, 4:1 can be tough on bringing in the traveler. But I normally don't have to. Dropping it down is easy, obviously. When I tack, I just leave it on the high side, then drop it down after I complete the tack. That way, I am not fighting against the force of the wind to bring it up to center. I would like to have 6:1 and will probably change it eventually.

As for the mainsheet, I play with that more than I play with the traveler. The traveler for me is mostly a succession of drops as the wind picks up and I power down. The mainsheet I like to play with for wind gusts and direction. I had a post a while back about my options for having it handy. The concensus seemed to be to run the line back along the outside of the cockpit to a block and a winch that I could install on the cockpit combing. Of course, the other option is just to get an autopilot!!!

Oh, and I think Keelhaulin just installed 8:1 with a fine tune on his traveler. You might want to PM him.

Vaya con Dios

Last edited by bestfriend; 05-25-2008 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-25-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
Faster:
Great concept. I'll try to see how I can work that in where it makes sense. Really cool... I remember reading in SAIL or something about someone who had rigged fine tuning into their jib sheets.

BF: Plumper:
I've got 2:1 now on my traveler, and it's useless. Tomorrow a bigger main is arriving and I know I'll need some leverage. I'll probably start with the 4:1 and be so happy with the change.

I usually step-out the mainsheet as the wind picks up to spill air off the top and trim the traveler to the wind direction and gusts... Gonna have a boom-kicker installed before long. Everyboat is different!

Thanks guys this is really really helpful.

I'll update the drawing and post it again in an hour or so... need to get a report out for a client now....

All the best,
Craig

I love
Old 05-25-2008
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Craig, I misspoke earlier. I have 2:1 and will upgrade to 4:1. And I think keelhaulin upgraded to 4:1 or 6:1. Sorry about that, I am still getting over the flu.

Vaya con Dios
Old 05-25-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

Yeah... I misspoke as well.. I have 3:1 on my traveler. It still sucks... 4:1 is minimum...

Pic to follow....

thanks,
craig

I love
Old 05-25-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

Rigging Plan Rev. 2

I've included some of your suggestions. Thanks again.

Schematic:

Remember this is not to scale at all.... It's just like a 'wiring diagram' to get a concept first.

Table:

I've also started to build the table. This will eventually grow to include lengths and end types etc.

This is just a very preliminary whack at what I'm thinking really to just get some suggestions / discussion going. I may be way off on diameters and types. I won't be doing any hard core racing, just around the cans for fun a few times a month but I do like to be able to trim my sails effectively.

I like tweaking the sail trim.

Questions:

Are there anyother things that you think I should consider in selecting lines?

Preventers? Any ideas? I'm not too comfortable with disconnecting a Boom Vang and attaching it somewhere. My Dad's boat uses jam cleats with lines led aft with a mid point attachment and sometimes under load they are really tough to 'un-jam'.

Furling lines? Mine run up port side and are *gasp* attached to Safety stancions(sp).

The mainsheet is listed at 6:1 on the drawing... could still be 5:1.

In the table where it says "Wire" that's line to wire spliced - what type of line usually gets spliced to wire?

SD:
If I go with 2 line reefing that will mean 4 lines for 2 reefs I assume? I'm running out of real estate.

Thanks to all ...

Craig
Attached Thumbnails
Running Rigging Plan-rig_rev2.jpg  

I love
Old 05-25-2008
Hitchin' a ride

With two line reefing there is only one line led aft. Here is a basic diagram. Okay, thats wrong, nevermind.

The second line is for the aft part of the boom. Right guys???

This ones better.

Hold on, technical difficulties.

Vaya con Dios

Last edited by bestfriend; 05-25-2008 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-25-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

Here's a better shot.. sorry..
Attached Thumbnails
Running Rigging Plan-rig_rev2_1.jpg  

I love