Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-06-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

craigtoo will become famous soon enough craigtoo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
Hmmm.. that didn't work...

EDIT: ok.. THIS SHOULD WORK.. EDIT

AFTER

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I love
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by craigtoo; 07-06-2008 at 05:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-06-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
Deleted.. See Above

I love

Last edited by craigtoo; 07-06-2008 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-06-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

DELETED SEE ABOVE PICS TECHNICAL PROBLEMS..

THANKS artbyjody

I love

Last edited by craigtoo; 07-06-2008 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-06-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtoo View Post
Holy can't post a photo batman!

Go to...

w w w. c r a i g h a r b a u e r . c o m

Check out the link called "Rigging"

You'll figure it out from there...

craig
(apparently I've lost my computer skills over the weekend...)
goto tinyurl.com - and use that link it generates (its free btw)...

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 07-06-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

You are the MAN!

Thanks... fixing now

I love
Old 07-06-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

Ok..

Description of what I did.

Halyards - T900 - With mast base blocks (Gui inspired...) I'll need 2 more halyards in phase 2. One for Chute one for Second Jib.

Cunningham, Outhaul, Reef 1, Vang all led to sexy (Gui inspired) mast base blocks and through ....

deck organizers which needed custom fit teak blocks to so that they were mounted flat (deck is curved in that area...I felt like I was fitting a bridge to a violin top.... I used a dremel tool to get the fit right.. took a better part of a day...) lines then led aft to...

Lewmar Line Clutches (now installed in the proper direction) DOH! Yes... i installed them backwards... who'da thunk that the handles would open the wrong way!!

The mainsail controls:
Harken track 1.8m (Longer than stock you can see the overhang)
New 6:1 main sheet blocks with cam cleat
New 4:1 traveler (I went 3/8ths the hardware got stupid expensive for bigger stuff...but I like it...)
New boom kicker.

Everything but line clutches is Harken.

Won the first race after the rebuild... ! I do have issues... (Lessons learned to follow...)

I love
Old 07-06-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

Some tips/lessons learned

1) Lewmar clutches are backwards....when you open them up there's a little picture of a winch with an arrow. No.. they didn't make a mistake. The winch actually goes there. Moron.

2) Drill oversize holes for all through deck attachments... this is so you can get the epoxy smeared on the exposed deck core. I could have done a better job on this. I'll be re-doing some of my mast base blocks for this reason. I'm losing sleep thinking that I scraped off epoxy as I put the bolt in ... even though I let it dry it was a tight fit...

3) Use 60min epoxy not the 5min stuff. It's "thinner" and really allows you to smear it all over the exposed core better... LOOK FROM THE INSIDE OF THE BOAT OUT AT SUNLIGHT to verify that you've completely coated the core. I was lucky and happened to look up and saw that every hole that I had already epoxied wasn't complete. Went back in and re-smeared.

4) To cover the holes left in the deck by hardware you don't need anymore do what Halekai says...use the finishing washer. Looks great and it's easy.

5) Get Butyl Tape...I was pulling off 20 year old deck organizers and the stuff still looked like Melted Pizza Cheese - Never Leaked. I'll be re-seating with Butyl this winter. I couldn't find it locally and I didn't plan in advance enough to order it online. I used another adhesive which I won't mention. It wasn't 5200 (Is that the super strong one from 3M?) but.. it wasn't the 4200 either...(The one I should have used... DOH!) Hello Winter Project...

6) I put a "Lanacote" barrier (like a grease) between all Aluminum and Stainless interfaces. (Bolts to hardware) ... I hope that's a good idea...

7) I would probably move my mast base blocks used for the sail trim (outhaul, reefs, cunningham etc.) closer to the mast - towards the bow. I placed them directly under where the line exits the boom, but they interfere now (somewhat and nothing bad at all) with the boom kicker when you're on a run. It doesn't look as neat.

8) You can talk Westmarine into an amazing discount... I beat every online price by 10% (and I'm talking shopping cart prices not MAP).... just brought the printouts with me and I had *everything* in less than 24 hours. (I think I had 1 special order which they FedEx'd for me from SanFran on their nickel.) No, the service wasn't amazing... the staff wasn't super knowledgeable... but I felt as if I got a good deal. (This was in Annapolis...)

9) Definitely start a running rigging rebuild with the end in mind. Plan Plan Plan... If you just start moving stuff around and mounting hardware you'll have a disaster on your hands in no time.

10) Boom Vangs are not to be attached to Through bolted U-Bolts on deck. While this may look very sexy and keep the vang block low so that sending the line to the organizer is easy.... it will bend. Yep. Bend. If you look in the after pic above you'll see the u-bolt in the middle of the mast base blocks with the small teak shim block (for angle). It is bent..... And now the vang is attached to a bail at the base of the mast... which meant I had to raise my kicker... crap... bunch of extra work there...

11) Blocks inside a boom are crap. crap. crap. Apparently, I had a 4:1 outhaul and didn't know it. The blocks in the boom were so worn (probably from lack of maintenance.. because THEY WERE IN THE FREAKING BOOM....) I never even noticed the advantage... I had to use a winch to move the sail. So the new design has a tiny wire block attached to the clue and my wire exits the boom on the sheave and goes through the block and is attached to the end of the boom. It's neat and clean and serviceable. It was a nightmare trying to fish the new outhaul lines through because the stupid blocks kept getting in the way...

12) Sailkote is great

As I think of more.. I'll post.

Thanks again to all...

craig

I love
Old 07-06-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Craigtoo-

Umm...did you think that every one else might be backwards and Lewmars are correct.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-06-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

Well... that's what took me the longest!

I had to unscrew the Lewmars have my dad hold them in the air... and COMPLETELY rotate the boat beneath them... Getting the holes to line up was an absolute PITA...

I love
Old 07-06-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

(oh.. and why is the LEWMAR label upside down when you mount them "as the directions indicate...?????)

No kidding...

I love

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.