Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-26-2008

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road
In response to Vitesse and the load on the tack, "Incredibly violent forces" and "User beware", another concern I've had is ending up with the asymm as a sea anchor (I've unintentionally done that).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-26-2008

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
My Bene will be an Oceanis 43, out of Charleston. If you think it as a bare boat, you should see what the market down here offer and call "sailboat". Despite many others far beter brands in the global market, Benes have strong reputation here due to unbeatable price x performance. Max, I think will copy your boat ring, and although we're cruisers, I miss the extra knots a gennaker would bring, specially with these new gyro autopilots..... thanks for the pics and surelly will check the website.
Old 10-03-2009

rdunncpa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasSailer View Post
I'm in the process of installing a Selden bow sprit on a Beneteau First 36.7. The Selden bow sprit pole is more than just an aluminium tube. The side wall has internal ribs, apparently for strength. The Selden bow-ring looks similar to the chock-ring posted by Max-on. I intend to attach the bow ring to the chain plate and roller assembly via a custom stainless stell bracket that I'm modeling out of aluminium. Actually, I'm on the second version of the model. The reason was the realization that Sailingdog mentioned of the forces involved. With the new version, when deployed the aft end of the pole will be fastened just aft of the anchor locker wall, in-line with two existing padeyes.
Please let me know how this project has progressed as I'm considering the same modification to my 36.7.

Russell Dunn
Rim Shot :: Home

Thank you!
Old 10-03-2009

rdunncpa is on a distinguished road
anoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasSailer View Post
I'm in the process of installing a Selden bow sprit on a Beneteau First 36.7. The Selden bow sprit pole is more than just an aluminium tube. The side wall has internal ribs, apparently for strength. The Selden bow-ring looks similar to the chock-ring posted by Max-on. I intend to attach the bow ring to the chain plate and roller assembly via a custom stainless stell bracket that I'm modeling out of aluminium. Actually, I'm on the second version of the model. The reason was the realization that Sailingdog mentioned of the forces involved. With the new version, when deployed the aft end of the pole will be fastened just aft of the anchor locker wall, in-line with two existing padeyes.
Please let me know how this project has progressed as I'm considering the same modification to my 36.7.

Russell Dunn
Rim Shot :: Home

Thank you!
Old 10-04-2009

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road
The installation has been successful. The only disadvantage I can think of is that the bow sprit must be removed to to deploy the anchor or to get access to the anchor locker. I was able to replace an existing padeye location just aft of the anchor locker with the padeye supplied by Selden and add another Selden supplied padeye further aft for when the bow sprit is retracted. The forward pad-eye is mounted on and the aft pad-eye is mounted on and backed with stock stainless steel discs, custom drilled for the bolts. I also had a drill-block made as a guide for drilling the holes for the aft pad-eye. I followed Mainesail's instructions for sealing all of the through-deck bolts.

For safety, I also installed a dual clutch cleat so that the tack could be put on the starboard cabin top winch. The forces in even relatively light air are significant. The other side of the clutch cleat is currently unused.

An easy and inexpensive way to try out various configurations was a ten foot section of 4" PVC, followed up of course by the heavier and more difficult to position sprit itself.

Last edited by TejasSailer; 10-04-2009 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Clarification