Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-25-2008

l_lym is on a distinguished road
bowsprit for asym

Has anyone rigged a bowsprit to move a cruising asymmetrical in front of the bow pulpit? (see current cruising world). Did you use a commercial package like the one from Selden or build it yourself? Do you like the result in terms of better performance and sail handling?

Thanks,
Chas
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-2008

JB2 is on a distinguished road
ASM on Bow Pulpit

Actually, on our Caliber 47LRC, it was a no brainer. On the very fron on top of the bow pulpit, I attached a ratchet block, and I lead the ASM tack through that onto a cleat on the bow sprit/pulpit. I can very easily adjust the tack distance/angle, and the ASM flies just where it should be.

I say go for it..it's an easy installation.
Old 05-25-2008
1997 Dehler 33

max-on will become famous soon enough
Dehler uses a circular chock ring at the bow and a hard point further aft, to which you can attach a full length spin pole, as on my boat, or a short sprit pole.

Old 05-25-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just be aware that any make-shift or user installed/designed bow sprit is going to have to deal with some significant loads both vertically as the sail pulls up on the sprit and horizontally, as the sail tries to move the sprit forward.

Unless you have a very solid installation, you'll probably want to setup a bobstay for your removable sprit...but that will generate aftwards lateral forces on the sprit.

IIRC, the chock ring on the Dehler's is tied into the bow chainplate and bow roller assembly and is going to be far more substantial than anything you can jury rig.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-25-2008

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
This is GREAT Max, would you send us a pic showing the pole attached. I mean, how you lock the inner side of it ? I'm ordering a Beneteau and think your simple solution could be replicated .... tks !!
Old 05-25-2008
1997 Dehler 33

max-on will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by negrini View Post
This is GREAT Max, would you send us a pic showing the pole attached. I mean, how you lock the inner side of it ? I'm ordering a Beneteau and think your simple solution could be replicated .... tks !!
I can post more pics if needed, I can take more detailed pics when I go to the boat tomorrow, but this is all I have of the hard point on deck and spin pole in the chock.

This is a standard Dehler setup, not something homemade, go to Dehler.com or Dehler.us and you can probably see some more pics. The current boats use a short sprit pole, with the aft hard point closer to the bow, my boat uses a standard sized spin pole for the assy sprit.

Edit: WAIT, I missed that, 'you are ordering a Beneteau', now why would you do that!!! Kidding aside, what model Bene?

Last edited by max-on; 05-25-2008 at 11:54 PM.
Old 05-26-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
My condolences..
Quote:

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-26-2008

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road
I'm in the process of installing a Selden bow sprit on a Beneteau First 36.7. The Selden bow sprit pole is more than just an aluminium tube. The side wall has internal ribs, apparently for strength. The Selden bow-ring looks similar to the chock-ring posted by Max-on. I intend to attach the bow ring to the chain plate and roller assembly via a custom stainless stell bracket that I'm modeling out of aluminium. Actually, I'm on the second version of the model. The reason was the realization that Sailingdog mentioned of the forces involved. With the new version, when deployed the aft end of the pole will be fastened just aft of the anchor locker wall, in-line with two existing padeyes.
Old 05-26-2008

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Practical Sailor has done a review of bolt-on bowsprits in this months issue.

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 05-26-2008
Wannabe Sailing Bum

Vitesse473 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm ordering a Beneteau
Have owned Beneteau's happily since 1990 (three total). For a production boat, they are very well built coastal cruising boats. My current 473 was designed by Groupe Finot and built by the French. You cannot beat the overall package for the money. Don't judge a boat by its dealer network!!!

Now back on topic. I have both a regular spinnaker and an asymm. Having raced J105's, J90's and Nelson Marrick (all have sprits), I will tell you that the load put on a tack is very substantial. You really need to think twice about flying an asymm off the anchor plate. If you do, do so under 15-18kts of wind and you'll likely be fine. If you are out in fluky 20+, you are bound to do significant damage if the kite loses its shape and then, as you get back on the wind, pops open with incredibly violent forces. User beware!!