Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-26-2008

andy_smith is on a distinguished road
Raymarine Autopilot Remotes

Does Anyone out there use a wireless remote with their Raymarine autopilot. I'm looking for feedback or reports as to their effectiveness and reliability.
Thanks,
Andy Smith
'SKYE WATER'
Old 05-26-2008

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
I have the little S100 and love it, I can press a button to change course without getting up, or sit for'ard under engine and steer my way through a passage (haven't done that in any difficult ones) and if I were to fall overboard it would turn off the autopilot and perhaps I could swim back to the boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-26-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I have the bigger smart autopilot controller...and it's worth every penny. Lets me see the instrument readings as well as steer from anywhere on the boat.

Zanshin is wrong about it turning off the autopilot if you fall overboard... although, if you were quick enough, you could do it manually.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-26-2008

Sailingdog: You are correct! I am certain that, when I bought it, I read that the receiver would go to standby mode if the transmitter loses signal to the base station; but I've just downloaded the manual and it makes no mention of that. It does state that the unit goes into standby mode after 5 minutes to conserve batteries and that wouldn't be compatible with the assumption I had. D****it, the MOB function was the only reason I got the little remote. Perhaps I can re-sell it on eBay.

Old 05-26-2008

trantor12020 is on a distinguished road
If you fall over board, why won't you steer the boat back to pick you ?
Old 05-26-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Umm...the remote has a range of about 30-40'... unless you can swim like a dolphin, chances are the remote isn't going to have the range to turn the boat after your ass hits the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trantor12020 View Post
If you fall over board, why won't you steer the boat back to pick you ?

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 05-26-2008

The S100 isn't waterproof, either.

I overreacted when I realized that it wouldn't turn off the autopilot. I already know that this function would only have worked in light conditions and when beating anway, conditions in which it would be unlikely that I would get anywhere close to falling overboard, anyway.
I do like the little device. At first I plugged in the little cigarette-box sized received into the daisy-chain of devices in my instrument pod, but that put it within a couple of inches of my compass. The only other position that I could find where I could plug it in was below decks, which made the signal weak.

Last edited by Zanshin; 05-26-2008 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-26-2008
Telstar 28

Zanshin-

Have you even read the manual? You haven't said one thing right about the unit so far. From the Raymarine website:

Quote:
Compact and lightweight, the S100 remote delivers the freedom of wireless control to any Raymarine SeaTalk® autopilot. The bright display is easy to read with two lines of text and a graphical autopilot mode indicator. The 5 button ergonomic keypad and intuitive menu structure provides simple operation and easy access to extended features. Rugged and waterproof the S100 fits in your pocket or clips to your belt, keeping full function autopilot control always within reach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
The S100 isn't waterproof, either.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 05-26-2008

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
Again, Raymarine is missing the chance to publish a good manual and/or update their product. I had the bigger remote for 2 years, and loved it, not only as a remote, but as the best protable repeater I've had. Cosider I have lots of kids on board ! Well, my point is, when you get out of range the autopilot disengage itself, leaving your boat out of control. With a lot of lucky, you may manage to get back on board, if sailing, when sails colapses. If you were motoring, that would be an insane temptative. The problem comes because you're not allowed to select your remote as slave/master, so when you run out of battery (happens to me a lot!!) the core-pack should sound an alarm and give you plenty of time to gain back the control (if you had set your remote as master, only). Several times, I got caught by surprise with the autopilot disengaging suddenly as the remote died, but fortunately without damage (except for a kid knee knock a year ago). Raymarine responded to me that slave/master would be a good idea, and I'm not alone complaining about product behaviour, but they cannot say when/if it will be updated. OK, in summary, I loved that and certaily will have it on my next boat, and hopefully Raymarine can fix that .....
Old 05-26-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Fwiw..

For what it's worth I hated mine, spoke with Raymarine and was told they had no fix for my issue so I returned it.

When I turn on the remote I have made a choice to have it on and in STBY mode or AUTO. I DID NOT LIKE THE FACT THAT THESE UNITS TURN OFF AFTER A FEW MINUTES if you are not in AUTO mode!!! Turning it back on required the remote "finding" the base, and syncing with it, which could sometimes take 45 seconds or more. It was a ROYAL pain in the ASS!!

I sail where there are lots of lobster pots and this remote SUCKED for this type of application where I would often put it in STBY for a few minutes to sail through a thick area, then I would want to hit the button, to resume AUTO mode the unit had turned its self OFF thus requiring a re-boot!!

Hey Raymarine how about adding user programmable "auto off" parameters with intervals up to at least 60 minutes!!! You've had numerous complaints about this now learn to listen to your customers and FIX IT!!!!!!

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 05-26-2008 at 08:57 PM.