Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-26-2008

saltypat is an unknown quantity at this point
Propane Tank Pressure Gauge Meaning

Last summer we bought an old boat that had a new stove and propane tank hookup, but no documentation. I did get stove info off the net

The small propane tank has a pressure gauge that goes from under 100 something to over 300 something (only looked at it briefy). Brifely, what is the gauge measuring and what would you think the pressure would read if it is getting near empty?

(We took the tank for our backyard grill tank in onetime to be refilled, and the serviceman said he desired it to be empty before he refills it.)

One option is that as a backup I carry some food which needs no cooking......but I am hoping you sailnet gurus will put me on the path of enlightenment.

Thank you for your time, SaltyPat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2008

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
There is no reliable way to measure propane quantity, except by weigh. LPG remain liquid under pressure, so only the dry part of your tank is full of gas at almost constant pressure; as you liberate the gas, the liquid surface replace it transforming from liquid to gas;what is reduced is the liquid part, so your pressure gauge will read the same for a long time, and when it drops, indicate your tank is out of LPG. Too late. The gauge could help you detect leaks, at most.
Old 05-27-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Yes... you have to weigh it. The guage means next to nothing. It tells you there is some LPG in the tank, but not how much.
Old 05-27-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by negrini View Post
The gauge could help you detect leaks, at most.
That's about all it does.
A drop in pressure over a period of time means you better get the soapy water out.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 05-27-2008

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
As long as there is liquid in the tank, the tank pressure will vary with the ambient temperature, not the amount of LPG in the tank. The liquid "boils" at a pressure that increases as the tank temperature increases.
Old 05-27-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Propane boils at -40 F, which is why they don't use it in real cold climates. That's how it gets it's pressure. You will have pressure right up until the gas is gone but it will fall slightly as the tank gets really low. Rises in temp will cause changes in pressure as well.
Old 05-27-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Salty Pat,

Suggest you review the thread below in the link. There is a lot of discussion in there about the purpose of the pressure gauge. It is a CRITICAL component of your propane system, but it does not measure the amount of LPG in the tank. It's sole purpose is for leak detection. As others have pointed out, remaining LPG is measured by weighing the tank:

LINK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 05-27-2008

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
SaltyPat,

I agree that there's no reliable way to know how much propane is left in the tank, except to weigh it. And, I believe a pressure guage is a good thing to help detect leaks.

But I believe that what most of us fear is running out of propane during a cruise, when there's not usually a filling station nearby. That actually happened to me a couple of years ago....ran out on the first day of a 5-day trip!

Now, I have a solution: I purchased a brass adapter which adapts the regular propane hose fitting (the one that screws onto your tank) to accept small propane bottles, such as are used in camp stoves, bar-b-que grills, etc. Boat US and West Marine have these adapters.

Then, I purchased two small propane bottles -- the squatty kind (Coleman, I believe) -- and built a mount for them next to the main propane tank. These little bottles are cheap, and will tide you over until you can find a place to refill the large tank.

Gotta have that coffee in the morning :-)

Bill

PS...find another place to refill your tank. Most places I've found will definitely fill a tank that's not empty yet. They simply place it on the scales, and fill it to the proper weight.

B.

Last edited by btrayfors; 05-27-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-27-2008
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Below is an excerpt from an email that I sent the owner of a boat that I chartered. I think that it explains the meaning of the presure guage fairly well:

"When I picked up the boat, I noticed that one of the two propane tanks was low. I made this determination based on the weight of the tank. You probably know that at 70 deg F, at sea level, propane liquefies at 110 PSI. This means that at 70F the pressure gauge should never read higher than 110, but the weight of the tank will indicate how much liquid propane is contained in the tank. If the gauge reads less than 110, the contents of the tank have vaporized, and you will soon run out. In this case, the tank in question read 100.

While on this topic, the tank connectors require a 1.25" wrench. The adjustable in the tool kit only opens to 1". I brought a few of my own tools which included a large adjustable."

-Ed
Old 05-27-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Believe that you should have said: "This means that at 70 deg F the pressure gauge should never read LOWER than 110...." since if there is any amount of liquid propane, the pressure should be 110 PSI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Below is an excerpt from an email that I sent the owner of a boat that I chartered. I think that it explains the meaning of the presure guage fairly well:

"When I picked up the boat, I noticed that one of the two propane tanks was low. I made this determination based on the weight of the tank. You probably know that at 70 deg F, at sea level, propane liquefies at 110 PSI. This means that at 70F the pressure gauge should never read higher than 110, but the weight of the tank will indicate how much liquid propane is contained in the tank. If the gauge reads less than 110, the contents of the tank have vaporized, and you will soon run out. In this case, the tank in question read 100.

While on this topic, the tank connectors require a 1.25" wrench. The adjustable in the tool kit only opens to 1". I brought a few of my own tools which included a large adjustable."

-Ed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.