Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-14-2002

KenD is on a distinguished road
need help quick

my furling line is spliced sorry don''t know the type of line but it looks like nylon clothes line with a colored sheath on the outside It needs replacement and I think it requires pulling the inner piece out cutting it down lashing the two ends together and then pulling the covering back over the splice and whipping the ends of that. this is a guess and I would rather not screw up and play douse the jib on my next sail. someone please!! help.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2002

MaryBeth is on a distinguished road
need help quick

What you seem to be describing is a double braid line, common for heavy duty lines on sailboats. While what you describe is basically the right idea, get some help if you are that confused, so that you can correctly fix the eye needed in the line. If there is noone around to help, you can purchase a fid for the correct size line which should come with sufficient directions for fixing (or splicing) an eye around the shackle.

I am assuming that is the area you are speaking of.

Best of Luck,
MaryBeth
Old 06-15-2002

Irwin32 is on a distinguished road
need help quick

I cannot see a need to splice a furling line - assuming we are dealing with a single line furler.

I wonder if what you are speaking of is the removal of part of the core of a braided line in order to allow enough of the line to coil onto the furling drum.

Here is what to do: Buy the appropriate length and size for your boat. When your jib is tightly furled your jib sheets should have at least three wraps around the furled jib. This is important should storms come up while your boat is slipped. It will help keep your jib from unfurling during a storm.

As you unfurl your jib to go sailing, you may find that there is not enough room on the furling drum to allow you to completely set your jib. Here is how your alleviate that problem.

1. Furl your jib w/3 wraps of jib sheets
2. Remove 10 feet of the inner core of your furling line. Here is how you do that:

a. Split the weaving on the outer wrapping enough that you can pull out the core.

b. Pull out 10 ft or so and cut it and extract the cut section. This will leave you with the 1st 10 feet of your furling line with no inner core and thus it will take up less space on the furling drum.

c. If you find you have not removed enough inner core, repeat the above steps.

This is NOT splicing. It is simply removing the inner core of a braided line. I suspect that this is the procedure you are refering to.
Old 06-17-2002

KenD is on a distinguished road
need help quick

No believe it or not the rf is an old hood and it takes a continious line you have to use it to furl or unfurl the gen. fixed it this weekend.Tested it and all is well in my little world again.wound up pulling the core out of each end ,cut it down and seperated the core into three strands and spliced it like normal, then pulled the cover over the splice and whipped the ends of that. Seems to work!I did buy a fid and neddles which came with instructions for an eye splice but nothing for what I wanted to do it would be nice to get a book on that subject.