Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-27-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Tef-Gel alternatives?

Sauntered down to the local chandlery for some tef-gel. Re-attaching various hardware to the mast. They'd never heard of it. Went next door to West, they'd never heard of it. Went to the West Marine website, not listed.
Searched the web for the maker of Tef-gel. They have a dealer locator. Only once place listed fo all of Michigan, a spar retailer. Called them and they are only listed with the manufacturer because they buy the stuff for their own use. The helpful person did offer to send me 2 tubes anyway. She was suprised nobody local carried it.

Is it available off the shelf near you?

What would you use as an alternative?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
LanoCote or Anhydrous Lanolin work quite well as a substitute. The first you can get at most chandleries, including WM. The second you can get at many pharmacies or drug stores.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-27-2008

EO32 is on a distinguished road
We've got a great store called fisheries supply, that's where I've been spending all of my boat money.

Marine Supplies from Fisheries Supply - Everything for the Boat Owner

I've only used Tef-gel, but I think Duralac may do the same thing.
If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps better than most. A small sailing craft is not only beautiful, it is seductive and full of strange promise and the hint of trouble.

- E.B. White
Old 05-27-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
EO32-

Yup...Duralac is basically designed for same purpose as tefgel.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-28-2008
Hunter 26

sharkdive1 is on a distinguished road
Xort, that is kind of funny that West Marine does not have it, because all of the West stores here in South Florida do. They also have it in just about every marine store around. It is also made down here, that maybe way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
Sauntered down to the local chandlery for some tef-gel. Re-attaching various hardware to the mast. They'd never heard of it. Went next door to West, they'd never heard of it. Went to the West Marine website, not listed.
Searched the web for the maker of Tef-gel. They have a dealer locator. Only once place listed fo all of Michigan, a spar retailer. Called them and they are only listed with the manufacturer because they buy the stuff for their own use. The helpful person did offer to send me 2 tubes anyway. She was suprised nobody local carried it.

Is it available off the shelf near you?

What would you use as an alternative?
Old 05-28-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkdive1 View Post
Xort, that is kind of funny that West Marine does not have it, because all of the West stores here in South Florida do. They also have it in just about every marine store around. It is also made down here, that maybe way.

Maybe because corrosion is such an important issue in FL products like that sell well.

BTW, the company that makes Tef-Gel also makes what they call Tuff-Gel.
I've been using it for awhile now and had to remove some screws that I had applied it on a few months ago yesterday. Not a real long term test but I was pleased with it's performance.
The screws were not as tight as they would have been with red Lok-Tite but certainly wouldn't have vibrated loose and there was no visible corrosion on or around the threads.
I just buy the stuff online from their website.
Old 05-28-2008

jjablonowski is on a distinguished road
I got mine through Defender Industries in Connecticut, mail-order.
Old 05-28-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
I've actually tried..

I've actually tried to find a replacement for Tef-Gel but have yet to find anything as thick or that works as well. I used Lanocote for years but still had issues with stainless & aluminum. Tef-Gel is the only product I've found that actually works as intended.

I've probably purchased 20 products, from different industries, hoping to find an alternative to Tef-Gel and still have not found anything that even comes close. The stuff is very uniques and it works!

It's worth it to mail order and one syringe will last you a while as a little bit goes a long way!! I'm on season 3 with the last 1oz syringe I bought..

Tef-Gel 1oz syringe $11.95

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 05-28-2008 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-28-2008

boydgatlin is on a distinguished road
Jamestown Distributors ( Boat Building and Woodworking Supplies ) is a source for Tef-Gel.