SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Teak or not Teak (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/43650-teak-not-teak.html)

negrini 05-29-2008 01:10 AM

Teak or not Teak

I've heard good and bad things about teak on deck. I'm commissioning a boat and should make a decision. Pros, I think teak is beautiful either to touch and eyes, dry and non-slip. Cons, will fry your feet here in tropics, and difficult to maintain that nice look. What is your oppinion and/or experience on using teak on your deck ?

Rockter 05-29-2008 05:03 AM

Whatever you do, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT!!! allow the teak planking to be fastened THROUGH the top layer of glass fibre. No matter how much sealant is promised and no matter how good they claim it will be do not allow the screw fasteners to penetrate the top GRP layer.

It must NOT be tacked through it. Into it... which will mean thickening it probably... but not through it.

The other way is to stick the planks onto the deck and use no fasteners, but the planks have to be thinner as they cannot be fastened. They don't leak though... it is promised anyway.

I have learned the fastener problem the hard way.... they leak once the deck wears, and leak, and leak, and leak.

SwanseaJack 05-29-2008 05:36 AM

DONT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!! If you really, really think you want to purely for the cosmetic effect then look at the plastic alternative that are simply stuck on and remain looking good for years.

RickQuann 05-29-2008 05:53 AM

Teak decks feel wonderful on bare feet and without question, look great, but wood in general is better suited belowdecks.
Its all about maintenance Go with synthetics, like Flexiteek - Environmental marine decking system - A teak deck alternative

SYMandalay 05-29-2008 06:25 AM

I watched a teak deck being removed from a boat in our marina. It was done with huge crowbars and much sweat, toil and money. Then the leaky fiberglass deck was ripped up and new fiberglass laid down......all because of the teak deck fasteners. Probably cost the owner $25,000.

Never, never buy a boat with a teak deck or add teak to a boat that does not have it!!!! IMHO!

TrueBlue 05-29-2008 07:19 AM

I fell in love with the teak decks on my Nauticat, which are a character defining element of these boats. I must admit though, they also build character in the owners - after a few years of maintaining them. (g)

I agree with the others regarding the potential for leaks in older, worn decks which have not been properly maintained by renewing worn caulking seams and keeping all the teak bungs tightly glued in their screw holes.

However, some boats, including Nauticats, have a solid fiberglass substrate under the teak overlay. There is less chance of water intrusion and no possibility of rotted core with this technique, since there isn't any coring to rot.

If you love the look and don't mind maintaining teak decks properly, then go for it.

yachty 05-29-2008 09:22 AM

Replacing Teak Decks . . .

We are just finishing removal of our teak decks. We have a Nauticat and True Blue is right, they are fastened down to a solid fiberglass subdeck (no coring). The screws penetrate the subdeck and eventually leak through. Not as bad as some boats but after removing the headliner in the aft stateroom, there were waterstains evident.
We installed 1/4 inch closed cell foam with two layers of polypropylene cloth. WEST System adhesives and Perfection nonskid surface. Decks are cooler to walk on, cooler inside and they look great. This work was labor intensive but not real expensive. It will make the boat more valuable and extend her life.
Yachty

christyleigh 05-29-2008 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueBlue (Post 321721)
I fell in love with the teak decks on my Nauticat, which are a character defining element of these boats.

Oh.... well.... I guess I'm just a characterless heretic (I've been called worse) because one of the reasons I jumped at my Nauticat was - No Teak Decks

Boatweb 05-29-2008 07:19 PM

My local shipwright loved cork decks and fitted them instead of Teak. It doesn't look quite as good as Teak IMHO but is supposed to be very hard wearing and low maintenance.

Any other opinions on cork decking?

Cheers

Ian

negrini 05-30-2008 03:17 AM

ENLIGHTENING ! thank you all.