Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-31-2008
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
If you're willing to make a video, Knothead, I'm willing to wait for it We are talking constant diameter end to end, right?

Certainly I've got next week--now that you've got me thinking I can do it myself, I wouldn't be able work on it until after next weekend anyway.

Have at it, and I look forward to seeing it done right.

Tom

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-01-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by arf145 View Post
We are talking constant diameter end to end, right? Tom
Correct, constant diameter.
Wish me luck, it will be a lot more difficult to figure out how to post it than it will be to make it. I just recently learned how to post photos but still haven't figured out how resize them.
Old 06-03-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Arf, I hope this works. I had a heck of a time learning how to upload it. Had to join U tube.
Here is a part 1. I hope it's helpful.
Part two is still uploading.

Steve
Old 06-03-2008

Part two....

Old 06-03-2008
Irrationally Exuberant

Nice job, Knothead! I think I can actually give it a decent shot now.

One (nearly) last question: I'm doing this in place on the boat with the line through the furler and blocks. Anything I should do in that case to avoid getting a twist in it?

Thanks for going above and beyond.

Tom

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 06-03-2008

Quote:
Nice job, Knothead! I think I can actually give it a decent shot now.

One (nearly) last question: I'm doing this in place on the boat with the line through the furler and blocks. Anything I should do in that case to avoid getting a twist in it?

Thanks for going above and beyond.

Tom
Look at the color flecks in the line, you can see it if you have a lot of twist.
If it's solid white or a solid colored line it is still possible to see the twist, just a little harder.
After you run it through the furler and the lead blocks, just take a couple moments to untwist it.
Old 06-05-2008
Irrationally Exuberant

Knothead, I'm doing another test in my test line. Definitely my crossover looks much better now. I've stitched it and I'm at the point where I've milked everything back prior to marking for tapering. But a question (of course!): at this point in the fid's worth between where a core comes out and a cover comes out, it's thicker than normal diameter and tight, and no amount of pulling will make any more core go in, yet I've got maybe 3 fid's worth of core out at this point. Is that normal? If this is a prob, could it be because I'm working with a pretty short piece and didn't have anywhere near 5 fid's from the last mark to the slip knot?

Tom

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Old 06-05-2008

Quote:
Knothead, I'm doing another test in my test line. Definitely my crossover looks much better now. I've stitched it and I'm at the point where I've milked everything back prior to marking for tapering. But a question (of course!): at this point in the fid's worth between where a core comes out and a cover comes out, it's thicker than normal diameter and tight, and no amount of pulling will make any more core go in, yet I've got maybe 3 fid's worth of core out at this point. Is that normal? If this is a prob, could it be because I'm working with a pretty short piece and didn't have anywhere near 5 fid's from the last mark to the slip knot?

Tom

Yes, that sounds perfectly normal. Once you have cut and tapered, the diameter in that area will be smaller. That's what the tapering accomplishes.
You do end up cutting off and throwing away quite a bit of the core. Don't let that throw you off.
And yes, it helps to have plenty of distance from the ends to the stopper knot. In the video I think I said 6 to 8 feet. You should probably have at least 8 feet maybe a little more.
Keep in mind that some rope has a tighter cover than others. Sometimes the same type will vary spool to spool. You may have just picked one that is more difficult.

Hang in there.

Steve
Old 06-05-2008
Irrationally Exuberant

Excellent. Don't worry, I'm definitely doing this on my furler next week.

But damn it, one more Q: what's the rule of thumb for figuring how much line length you lose in the process?

Tom

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Old 06-05-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Depends on the rope and the type of splice you're doing, as well as your skill at splicing. A good estimate for double braids and cored lines is about 1.5-2' per splice plus the eye splice diameter in the case of a bigger eyesplice. .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.