Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-05-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Depends on the rope and the type of splice you're doing, as well as your skill at splicing. A good estimate for double braids and cored lines is about 1.5-2' per splice plus the eye splice diameter in the case of a bigger eyesplice. .
SD, Arf145 is doing an end to end constant diameter splice for his Hood 810.
Lets see,....The first mark is two fid lengths from the end and that is the location of the crossover, so if I am thinking about this correctly you would lose approximately 4 fid lengths of line. I would figure 5 just to be safe.

I usually figure 2' for an becket splice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-05-2008

bruceyp is on a distinguished road
Knot Head,
I was away for a few days and returned to see your video posted. That's great! I will be doing a practice line soon. You are up there with Gui in my book, just without the photoshop! I don't know if you would be up for it, but many of us could learn a lot from an eyesplice video. But even without that, I for one really appreciate the work you did. Thanks.
BP
Old 06-05-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Bruce and Arf, Thanks. It was kinda fun.
The quality of the video seemed to have suffered somewhere along the line. It looked a lot clearer before I uploaded it to U-Tube.
I am not too adept at the computer stuff. (Ask SD)
I would be happy to make a little eye splice video. It'll be a lot shorter.

Steve
Old 06-05-2008
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
knot:

I second BPs request for an eye splice video.

I've completed my test line and my results are remarkably, er, decent. I did introduce a slight twist (maybe 1/8th), which is mainly noticeable because I'm dealing with just a few feet of line, but I think I can avoid that next time.

Next stop, the real thing. I'll figure 5 fids loss.

Thanks again--the video was a huge help.

Tom

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 06-05-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by arf145 View Post
knot:

I second BPs request for an eye splice video.

I've completed my test line and my results are remarkably, er, decent. I did introduce a slight twist (maybe 1/8th), which is mainly noticeable because I'm dealing with just a few feet of line, but I think I can avoid that next time.

Next stop, the real thing. I'll figure 5 fids loss.

Thanks again--the video was a huge help.

Tom
Great, I'm glad it helped.

Steve
Old 06-13-2008

You make it look so easy...

Knothead,
Your video makes it look like a 15 minute job. I have been messing (the nicer term) with this for 2 hours and I haven't gotten the first cover inserted. I am using Samson fids 5/16" dia. on 5/16" line. After removing the core from the first section of cover, I can't even put the fid through the empty cover, not to mention getting past the crossover. I went down to a 1/4 " dia. fid and I can barely fit that through once I get past the crossover. I am pulling on the core to bunch up the cover. This is off the shelf West Marine double braided line.
I had similar problems doing Eye Splices but I managed to get them done by going up the core 1/3 of the way and then coming out of the cover and then reinserting the fid into the exit hole, going up 1/3 more , etc.
What in the world am I doing wrong?
First,what brand fids are you using? Second, are you using a lubricant on the fid?
I'll check back later, I need to go sailing.
Thanks KH.
BP
Old 06-13-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceyp View Post
Knothead,
Your video makes it look like a 15 minute job. I have been messing (the nicer term) with this for 2 hours and I haven't gotten the first cover inserted. I am using Samson fids 5/16" dia. on 5/16" line. After removing the core from the first section of cover, I can't even put the fid through the empty cover, not to mention getting past the crossover. I went down to a 1/4 " dia. fid and I can barely fit that through once I get past the crossover. I am pulling on the core to bunch up the cover. This is off the shelf West Marine double braided line.
I had similar problems doing Eye Splices but I managed to get them done by going up the core 1/3 of the way and then coming out of the cover and then reinserting the fid into the exit hole, going up 1/3 more , etc.
What in the world am I doing wrong?
First,what brand fids are you using? Second, are you using a lubricant on the fid?
I'll check back later, I need to go sailing.
Thanks KH.
BP
BP,
I'm sorry you are having a difficult time of it.
I would try to use the smallest fid that I could still attach the cover to.
I made my own fids, but the only major difference between mine and Sampson's is that I tapped the open end so that I can screw it on to the taped end of the line. I sometimes have to do a lot of splices and that turned out to be a time saver.
I don't use a lube although I have used a little baby power when doing splices in Sta-Set X. You might try that. Oh, and buff the fid on a wheel to a high polish it if it has been on the boat for awhile.
I would think that with a 1/4" fid you wouldn't have any trouble passing it through.

You say the line is West Marine Double braid. Thats Sta-Set, right?
Maybe you could post a photo or two of the attachment to the fid and the point of the splice where you are having problems.
Hang in there. After you have done it a couple of times I promise it will get easier.

Steve
Old 06-14-2008

Thanks....

KnotH,
Thanks for the encouragment. I was frustrated to the max yesterday. Cured somewhat by an evening sail.
I have a buffer and will polish my fids and try the baby powder. If I still am having problems I will post some photos.
meantime i think I will go for another sail. too nice a day.
Thanks again,
BP
ps
Polishing my fid...that doesn't sound quite right, does it? as in yeah, my wife caught me polishing my fid last night....
Old 06-14-2008

saurav16 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to saurav16
I have the hood seafurl and just replaced my furling line

Hello,

I have the hood seafurl on my boat and just replaced the furling line a few days back. The previous owner had a 1/2" inch furling line which would jam up the can. What you need to do is furl the sail up and stow it. At this point you can see where the stopper not is tied in the can. There are 3 vinyl screws at the base of the can on the stock pole of the roller furling. Unscrew them (carefully since the sun had worn mine down and one cracked). The can cover should now drop down u can now untie the stopper knot remove the old furling line and add your new line. Just make the stopper knot small so you can slide the can back up and put screws back in. Let me know if you have specific questions.

-Saurav
Old 06-15-2008
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
Did the splice!

Thanks to Knothead's video, that is. Since I had to do the real thing on the boat with the new line already through the furler and block, I couldn't have the video with me, so I watched it a few times, took notes, and did one practice ahead.

So Friday evening I cut the old line, attached the new one to it and pulled it through the furler, which committed me to the job. My only real problem came after getting cover 1 through cover 2--I got confused on exactly where to stick the other cover in! Got a little panicky at that point, sitting there with a line with tails sticking out of it everywhere. But I sorted it out and it all worked as shown. Never mind how long it took.

BP, the times I've had trouble getting the fid through, it was because I hadn't pulled out a bunch of core to let the cover scrunch up to give space--works like one of those finger "handcuffs" that get smaller as they are pulled--pulling out a bunch of core lets it relax.

Thanks again Knothead.

Tom

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.