Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-15-2008
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
Saurav, thanks, but I believe my Seafurl is a different model. Mine has a continuous line, thus no stopper knot. Used the old line to pull the new one through. I still need to open it to do a maintenance check, but I'd rather do that separately.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-18-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Here's the eye splice video.

Steve
Old 06-19-2008
Irrationally Exuberant

Thanks Steve. I'm going to give that a try.

Tom

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 09-20-2011

NewBaySailor is on a distinguished road
Replacing 7/16" line with 1/2" line for Hood 810 LD

My rigging inspector suggested that I replace the old 7/16" continuous single-loop furling line with 1/2" line because the furler will no longer grab the line and reef - it just runs out. The thinking is that the thicker diameter line might give the furler more to grab and, if pulled in hard, will reef. Anyone try this on their boat with success? Can a 1/2" line replace the 7/16" line for this furler? Thanks! Bruce (Bristol 29.9 on West River, Galesville)
Old 09-20-2011

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBaySailor View Post
My rigging inspector suggested that I replace the old 7/16" continuous single-loop furling line with 1/2" line because the furler will no longer grab the line and reef - it just runs out. The thinking is that the thicker diameter line might give the furler more to grab and, if pulled in hard, will reef. Anyone try this on their boat with success? Can a 1/2" line replace the 7/16" line for this furler? Thanks! Bruce (Bristol 29.9 on West River, Galesville)

Bruce, I would cut a foot or so of the line that you are thinking about buying and see how well it sets into the groove. You might find that 7/16" is what fits best.
IMO you would be best off using a harder line rather than a soft one. But your furler is notorious for being difficult to reef with. If you need to shorten sail, it's sometimes necessary to go forward and secure the drum by tying the tack shackle off to the bow rail or something.

But far be it from me to second guess your rigger.
Old 09-23-2011

papasailor is on a distinguished road
easy adjustment, no need to replace line

The 810 Seafurl is a continuous line. The thickness of the drum slot (with the "teeth" is adjustable. An allen screw on the bottom part of the drum allows the lower part to be adjusted up and down. This will provide more contact with the 7/16" line even if it is worn. Of course, if it is way worn and skinnier in some places then it should be replaced.

However, normal variations can be compensated for by adjusting the drum.
Old 09-23-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough

7/16 was the max on the boom as 1/2 was hanging up on everything

The knothead videos are great BUT I still had to practice a LOT to reach the point I could do it on the boat in place going through everything and get the right lenth

I have found plain old sat-set does NOT slip on the Stoboom version even when I lock the drum and crank on the halyard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tommays; 09-23-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-10-2012

nautikal is on a distinguished road
Re: Replacing Furling Line on Hood Seafurl 810

To: ARF145

I also have the Hood Furler with continuous loop on my '90 Hunter 28. You cannot get the loop off without unlatching the main furler from the deck. I am surprised how that continuous loop has stood up over a 22 year period. The unfortunate part is the hood twin rollers mounted on the stanchions are no longer anywhere near round ..in fact they look like pieces of swiss cheese. If anyone knows where I can get replacements I would be extremely happy.. Actually the reason for this message is : Is there any chance I can get a copy of the hood literature for this type of furling gear as we bought the boat third hand and the last owner did not have anything on the hood furling gear. It works ok but new rollers would help and occasionally I have had to squirt WD40 into the furling mechanism to allow the locking segment to work well.

So if anyone cane help me out or let me know where online I can read or copy the manual I would be really appreciative.

John
nautikal live com
Old 10-12-2012

papasailor is on a distinguished road

I just sold my Catalina 30 this spring. About 6-8 yrs ago, i replaced the bearings in my furling drum. I also replaced the plastic shim things. Since everything is stainless , aluminum or plastic, you need to thoroughly run fresh water through it. Squirt it in from the bottom or anywhere. This will clean the crap and spider poop out. I would never use WD-40 which will just cause it to gum up.

Next, when I sold my boat, there was a tupper wear or some plastic container with a dozen or more spare rollers. You might try contacting the owner. His name is Mark. There also may be a copy of the literature on board that he can copy for you. It might be in the book with papers and manuals.

mbales@sonusnet.com
Old 10-13-2012
Irrationally Exuberant

I've since replaced my Hood furler with an Alado, but I may still have the original manual. I'll check on the boat next time I'm there--but I may well have tossed it.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay