SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Mast Repair Question (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/43670-mast-repair-question.html)

montenido 05-29-2008 03:46 PM

Mast Repair Question

Hi, all. I am shopping for a Catalina 30, and one of the boats that I looked at had some issues with the base of the mast. The mast step was cracked, obviously needing replacement. The very bottom of the mast had some pitting and even had a hole about the size of a cigarette diameter.
While I passed on that boat, it got me wondering how you would repair such a mast. Could you simply cut several inches from the bottom, or is that area reinforced inside? If you did cut say, 3'', would your standing rigging have enough adjustment left in it, or would you have to modify that as well?
Would you end up having to replace the mast?

Otherwise, the boat was pretty clean.

Thanks for your input.

Montenido

sailingfool 05-29-2008 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montenido (Post 321934)
Hi, all. I am shopping for a Catalina 30, and one of the boats that I looked at had some issues with the base of the mast. The mast step was cracked, obviously needing replacement. The very bottom of the mast had some pitting and even had a hole about the size of a cigarette diameter.
While I passed on that boat, it got me wondering how you would repair such a mast. Could you simply cut several inches from the bottom, or is that area reinforced inside? If you did cut say, 3'', would your standing rigging have enough adjustment left in it, or would you have to modify that as well?
Would you end up having to replace the mast?

Otherwise, the boat was pretty clean.

Thanks for your input.

Montenido

First figure out why the damage, and correct the source.

Then you could add an alum plate under a new base to make up for whatever was cut off, sounds like a little more material under the mast wouldn't be a bad idea anyhow. 3" might be a lot and would look odd.

papasailor 05-30-2008 09:48 AM

Option in Michigan

My first reaction was to tell you about my boat which is a Fresh water, Cat 30 with no mast problems and offer you a hellova deal. Then I looked at your location in LA which would add a bit of shipping cost from MI.

Never-the-less, if you are interested send me a PM and we can talk.

knothead 05-30-2008 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingfool (Post 321982)
First figure out why the damage, and correct the source.

Then you could add an alum plate under a new base to make up for whatever was cut off, sounds like a little more material under the mast wouldn't be a bad idea anyhow. 3" might be a lot and would look odd.

The way we usually handle a problem is very similar to Sailingfool's advise. We cut off the bad stuff and have a new step fabricated that makes up the difference. Rigging stays the same lengths.

Do try to eliminate the cause of the damage which is always standing water in and outside the base of the mast.
Make sure the new step has a limber hole to let the water out and coat the step and the inside of the mast where they meet with grease or some kind of anti-corrosion compound.