SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Sabre 38 Prop Pitch (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/43712-sabre-38-prop-pitch.html)

Sabreman 05-31-2008 12:16 AM

Sabre 38 Prop Pitch

This may sound off the wall, but here goes.

I'm trying to get a PHRF rating for Victoria (the boat, not the wife), and the application form asks for a number of measurements for the fixed prop credit. I was able to estimate the exposure aft of the keel (~8'), the length of the exposed shaft (~26") and the prop size (14", I think). I have no idea as to the answer for the final question - pitch. Without diving under the boat and scraping off a bunch of paint to try and see the pitch stamped on the prop, is there a database of standard prop sizes installed for various manufacturers? Or conversely, with a 14" 2 bladed prop @ 2500 RPM, I do about 6 kts can the pitch be determined from these variables?

Thanks for the help

artbyjody 05-31-2008 01:06 AM

Maybe this link will help?

Propeller Calculator / Prop Calculator

or

continuousWave.com: Whaler: Reference: Propeller Calculator

JimsCAL 05-31-2008 09:25 AM

I would guess the pitch would be between 10 and 12 inches.

kd3pc 05-31-2008 03:53 PM

you may want to contact Glenn at Sabre...he can give you an idea and maybe an exact answer.

all the best, and the 38 is a great boat.

dave

Sabreman 05-31-2008 05:33 PM

All- Thanks. I think that the suggestion about contacting Sabre is one that I will take. Don't know why I didn't think of it. I've called them a number of times over the years and they've been great.

Unfortunately, I can't use the calculators. There are too many variables that I don't know. To be honest, I've never paid much attention to prop size and diameter. Sabre spent the time to spec it out so it's good enough for me. I mostly make sure that the prop is free of knicks and is reconditioned every 10 years or so.

Thanks.

markdigi 05-31-2008 08:30 PM

Sabreman,

I'm interested in hearing your final PHRF rating. We ended up with a 141 this year as opposed to a 144 last year and nothing changed on our boat.
Last year I believe they started us with a Mk I base instead of Mk II. I pointed this out in our application this year believing that our handicap would increase based upon this discrepency but it decreased.

We also raced against a couple of Mk II's in the Figawi last weekend. One of them had a higher handicap and didn't have a roller furling main as we do.

We have a two bladed fixed prop, roller fuling main and headsail and no racing sails. Our genny is < 135%. The only way I believe another Mk II could have a higher handicap than us is if they had a 3 bladed fixed prop. I plan on asking for clarification from our "handicaper" so that we're correct and consistent going forward.

Mark

Sabreman 06-01-2008 06:35 PM

Mark - I was kind of hoping that we'd have something like 123, but who knows. Our main is old but full battened - definitely not a racing sail. The jib is 140% and old but Sailcare refurbished.

Your avatar is nice. Great boat.

Mark

Sabreman 06-03-2008 09:16 PM

All - FYI. According to Glen at Sabre, the prop is 16" dia x 12"pitch

Thanks to kd3pc for the suggestion to contact Sabre. I can always count on Sailnet for practical suggestions.

Sabreman 06-10-2008 10:37 PM

markdigi - I received our rating in the mail today. It's 144.