Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-01-2008

Tqxin is on a distinguished road
Bottom Repairs

I have a 1975 Rhodes 22, that will stay in the water (salt water) all of the time when finished.
Bottom paint is chipping off down to the fiberglass; I can see a few spots that have been patched in the past. No leaks that I am aware of (it holds water quite well after some rain ) what would be the best methods to refurbish the bottom of this boat. Of course some sanding will need to be done, but should I sand it all down to the glass or just get the loose stuff off (most of it is chipping off). After sanded should I cover the bottom with epoxy followed by gelcoat and then anti fouling paint? Should I do it in that order? Give me a rundown of what you would do and how you would do it please.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-01-2008

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Post Some tips...

The spring after we purchased our boat, there was a lot of paint build up and was flaking off, etc. So I had the bottom blasted only to find these... Mostly little blisters, not deep, with the exception of about 10 that I ground out.

Here I am sanding ALL the remaining bottom paint off...wear proper safety protection!!!

Still going...all day long...

After sanding down to white gelcoat, I washed it about once a week for about 4 weeks to remove bad stuff, acids, reisdues, etc. then let it dry for another 6 weeks or so

Then I started to fill and fair the bottom. I used West System with filler which has the brown color you see below. I also tried a vinylester product (forgetting the name at the moment) which you see in blue.

Remember...epoxy over the vinylester okay, but not the other way around

more filling & fairing...

Finally...the barrier coat application (gray)...starting to see progress, I put 5 coats on the hull with 3 more or 8 total on the bottom and forward part of the keel & rudder...

Before the last coat of barrier coat cured, about 3 hours in 90 degree Maryland weather, I applied the first coat of bottom paint. Doing this should help form a good bond between the two. I used an ablative paint in black, of which I applied two coats.

Here I start to apply the third bottom paint coat, but in blue, so I can see when its time to re-coat...

Finally done painting...yea right...

Here you can see where I removed the PO's try at a boot strip, I just took the bottom paint up another 1 1/2"...

Finally this spring I painted a new boot stripe... I need to do some repairs to the stripe due to the sling when we splashed her but I'm pretty happy overall.

Its been three years now since I have barrier coated the bottom, leaving the boat in year round. This spring there were no signs of blistering.

Total cost to blast, sand (ended up renting a sander from the yard), fillers, barrier coat and three coats of paint, if I remember correctly was just over $2000.00 and about 60 hours of time give or take.

Good luck, theres lot here that you can search for on the topic...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 04-01-2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-01-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Nicely documented Chef!
Old 06-01-2008

Tqxin is on a distinguished road
Thank you Chef.
Old 06-01-2008
Itz That Eazy!!!

L02314564 is on a distinguished road
Very informative Chef! Written so that even I can understand. Thank You!
1976 Catalina 27 #2684
Old 06-02-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Nicely done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-16-2009

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Talking Damn, that is a nice looking yacht!

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 03-16-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Maybe, a bit biased there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-19-2009

cutterorient is on a distinguished road
T37 Chef, nice. I am doing the same thing right now on a 1983 Mason. After soda blasting - which uncovers all defects/impacts/etc - I too noticed what I call irregularities in the gelcoat. Bumps in places that held no water (visually or with the moisture meter ) and their counterpart the crater. The craters are only the gelcoat. I sanded the entire bottom, am now filling with MAS FLAG epoxy / micro baloon mix. The number of the little 'imperfections' are likely more than 10,000. I am also doing a rudder repair and repairing and fairing the substantial area on the underside of the keel. When she is sanded again to fair ( all excess faring mix off ) I will barrier coat with the same epoxy, unthickened of course. I will tint the epoxy grey and let it to a full cure, slap some paint on and then, of course, sail it. I chose to barrier coat with MAS for the following; have used in the past with great results for other projects, VOC free, blush free, excellent customer service when I called with loads of questions, cost effective, you can vary pot life/ mix and match resin hardeners, and there is no 'window' to paint with antifouling. Just let it cure fully and then paint when you want.