Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-02-2008

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Talking Maui Jim Sunglasses rock!

I purchased my first pair of Maui Jim sunglasses back in 1998 in San Francisco and loved them, even though they were costly. I had them for 6 years, during that time I sent them back to the factory several times for various reasons, all user errors, and cost me nothing but shipping. They finally died 2 years ago in which we held a small but memorable ceremony.

So of course I had to get another pair, I found them at Costco for $99.00...what a bargain. Well, I lost them a couple of weeks ago, we looked everywhere...I was very sad. I had to wear some other forgettable sunglasses we got for free by way of a magazine add.

But today the admiral approved the purchase of a new pair at Costco...same model of course. Now life is good again...bring it on SUN...I am ready!

If you have never had the fortunate opportunity to wear a pair I feel for you...you are really missing out on the finer things in life.

Wife thinks I am a major geek, ummm But she loves hers tooooo

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by T37Chef; 06-02-2008 at 11:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-02-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
I couldn't agree more! I've been wearing Maui Jim's or Costa Del Mars since the early 90's! There are NO optically clearer polarized lenses made! Period!!

Currently I own four pairs of Maui's and one pair of Costa Del Mar's. My oldest Maui's, still in working order, are a pair of "Jaws" (that's what they were called) that I bought in 1994.

Knock on wood, I've never lost a pair, because I always wear leashes!!

P.S. I DO NOT like Maui's move towards plastic lenses! I will ONLY buy the solid glass models! Old school I guess...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 06-02-2008 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-03-2008

sifucarl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to sifucarl
Couldn't agree more. Ever since my first pair in '97 I won't wear anything else if I can help it. I'm of the plastic frame of mind though. I love the lightweight of the plastic lenses, and if you take care of your glasses you don't have to worry about ruining them. Additionally I have the ALL plastic style:
Maui Jim Sunglasses - Pele
These are great because after about a year of use, the way I sweat, the hinges rust and finally give out. With these new flexible plastic styles I don't ever have to worry about that again, nothing to rust.

Wish I had fallen into the deal you found T37, but unfortunately I paid about twice that. The kicker about owning MJ's is that the company stands by their product. Unless lost, I've always been able to get the company to replace any damage to my glasses.

Maui Jim's ROCK
Old 06-03-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
T37 quote= Wife thinks I am a major geek, ummm But she loves hers tooooo

Last edited by Stillraining; 06-03-2008 at 02:37 AM.
Old 06-03-2008

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Its all about the fit and the feel of the titanium

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

Old 06-03-2008

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
I am a Rudy Project guy

Polarized Real perscription glasses have lasted over 7 years

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-03-2008

andy_smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

yup,
can't agree more ... 1st mate and I have been wearing lightweight MJ's for a couple of years now. Thought I'd have scratched the lenses by now, but they're still in very good condition. Been caught out a couple of times looking for my shades when they were pushed up on my head (duhh !). A bit expensive here in NZ, but the quality is there..
Andy Smith
Old 06-03-2008
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
maybe i'll check those out, lost my Gargoyles recently, miss those dearly. i gotta have something with a little style like the blue ones pictured above.

Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
Old 06-03-2008
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
I have two pair of Costa Del Mar glasses....love them! The Amber lenses are the best in my opinion. The grey lenses are my back up pair. I was never a fan of the plastic "sproty" frames, I like the Magnum PI look.....now if I could just grow my mustache in thicker....

I have these in grey and amber:
Old 06-03-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by halekai36 View Post
I couldn't agree more! I've been wearing Maui Jim's or Costa Del Mars since the early 90's! There are NO optically clearer polarized lenses made! Period!!
Perhaps not any more, but Bausch and Lomb, aka: Ray-Ban, used to make a line called "Ambermatic." They were an optical grade, impact-resistant, glass lens, amber-tinted in low light, using either photogray or photosun technology and light-weight metal frames. They were marketed primarily as shooting glasses.

They were terrific glasses, but, as with most other things in the world, it seems, these days: They've been dumped from the maker's product line in favour of cheap plastic crap . So now I don't bother looking at Baush & Lomb or Ray-Ban products anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halekai36 View Post
P.S. I DO NOT like Maui's move towards plastic lenses! I will ONLY buy the solid glass models! Old school I guess...
I don't much like plastic lenses, either.

Jim

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.