Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-03-2008

blueranger is on a distinguished road
Clevis pins and cleaners

Is there any difference other than price between the $50.00 SS clevis pin set at West Marine and the $20.00 SS clevis pin set at the local hardware store? I need to replace all the pins and rings on my rigging and prices are all over the place depending on where you shop. As long as I stick with stainless steel am I okay going with the more reasonably priced?

One other question. The topsides of my boat are literally black from dirt and bird droppings. Is there an effective but eco-friendly cleaner that will clean up the topsides and get them gleaming? The boat is already in the slip so whjatever goes on is going to get rinsed over the side so I'm trying to find something non-toxic but effective at the same time. If anybody has any recommendations I'd appreciate it!

Thanks,
Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Blueranger-

Check the stainless steel at the hardware store with a magnet. If it is magnetic, it is martentistic stainless and NOT SUITABLE for marine use. If it is not magnetic, it is most likely 304-grade stainless.

However, 316 grade stainless is better, since 304 is much more vulnerable to chloride ion stress cracking and crevice corrosion.

Simple Green will probably do a pretty good job of cleaning the crap and dirt from the boat's deck and cabintop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-03-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Try Roll Off on your topsides, great stuff.
Old 06-03-2008

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
a little clabber girl cleanser (active ing. baking soda) and a stiff floor brush works.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 06-03-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueranger View Post
Is there any difference other than price between the $50.00 SS clevis pin set at West Marine and the $20.00 SS clevis pin set at the local hardware store? I need to replace all the pins and rings on my rigging and prices are all over the place depending on where you shop. As long as I stick with stainless steel am I okay going with the more reasonably priced?Thanks,
Mike

Mike, while SD may be and probably is 100% correct in his evaluation of materials, I suppose it really comes down to how often you want to check, maintain and replace the items.
You could actually go with a regular steel pin if you stayed on top of the corrosion problem.
I wouldn't recommend it though.

The lesser grades of stainless, while more susceptible to corrosion probably have the same or perhaps even greater shear strength. If you keep an eye on them and replace as needed, you could realistically get by with less expensive pins.
You can even use SS bolts as pins if you cut off the threaded portion and center drill for a cotter pin.

Steve.
Old 06-03-2008
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
What kind of a clevis pin is it for $50 at WM? Just curious.
Old 06-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
a really big, gold plated one.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-03-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by brak View Post
What kind of a clevis pin is it for $50 at WM? Just curious.
I was wondering the same thing. Our boat uses 7/16" and 1/2" clevis pins in all the rigging bits that use clevis pins (well, except for some really tiny ones here-and-there), and they were more on the order of $7 or $8 each where I bought them. WM's prices were roughly equivilent, they just didn't have the exact sizes I needed.

Jim
Old 06-03-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
I have met this guy. He reminds you of Mick Fleetwood. But, his stuff works.

Captain Johns Boat Brite: Boat Cleaners, Marine Cleaners, Boat Maintenance Products,Non-Toxic Phosphate Free, EPA National Clean Marina
Old 06-04-2008

blueranger is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the help. $50 was a wee bit of an exaggeration (I've also never sailed in 10' seas or 50 knot winds but probably at some point after having the living c*@% scared out of me posted something to that effect) but WM had a clevis pin set with different sizes for $50.

The yard that thoughtfully dropped my mast for me ripped out ppins and rings with wire cutters as evidenced by the little bits of wire strewn all along the toe rail and the bent and chewed up pins that were fine when I inspected the boat prior to purchase.

Is there a yard that can raise a mast WITHOUT bending chainplates or turnbuckles? If there's a yard looking for fulll time help that CAN raise a mast without screwing up the rigging I'm available to reasonable offers anywhere in the US or overseas except California. I'm serious.

Sorry for the tangent. My idea of sailing is "worry free relaxation" (okay....everybody get up off the floor, wipe the tears from your eyes, and stop laughing) so although the various options are good to know I'd just as soon use what a naval architect would put in his own boat. After boat #1 I'm pretty anal about checking all rigging and replacing parts just as part of PM, not waiting til failure.

I'll shop around on the web today and see where I can find a reasonably priced set of pins that are marine grade.

Thank you for all the suggestions on the cleaners. I'm going to start with just plain old baking soda and a stiff brush and from there use Roll Off or Boat Brite, whichever is cheaper. Thank you all for the help. We need to find a good bar centrally located cuz I'm wanting to buy more than a few rounds for y'all.

Fair Winds,
Mike