SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Full of questions today, what do you guys to hold your charts?

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Idiens 
#1 ·
I have some paper charts that I want to throw in my bag but at the same time keep them in decent chart so they're not all crushed. I don't think rolling the chart is good but looking for opinions.

How do you guys carry your charts? What about a metal clipboard like this:

See less See more
#8 ·
I keep mine rolled in a thin-wall PVC tube above the dinette table. Sticky notes ID each via ends. When in use, they slide under an acrylic cover on the dinette table top. Generally don't use them in the cockpit, just write notes for the next several moves/headings on a erasable board that clips onto my pedestal.

#9 ·
Most charts won't fit in a clipboard. I'm not a big fan of rolling them up, and think storing them flat is a much better idea. Personally, I like the Maptech waterproof chart kits. They come with software for a PC and are relatively easy to store.

Best invention I've seen so far was a clear plexiglass overlay for the chart table, and it allowed you to "write" on the chart with a grease pencil/china marker.

#11 ·
I am fortunate to have chart drawers built in. They hold many charts with two folds. It was a smart move by the previous owner.

#12 ·
Full size charts we fold and keep in large ziplock bags for all-weather cockpit use... Chartbooks we keep in similar clear plastic, opened to the appropriate pages.

No room/space to stow rolled charts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.