Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-04-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBurton View Post
If someone had posted a picture of something that I recognised and asked the question "what are these" I would reply those are "description here" instruments.

Perhaps if you were not so quick find fault with my question you might find time to answer the question.

Or do you generally go around being a SA?
Don't know if the SA is directed at me and am not really sure of what a SA is but I can guess. However, in the interest of keeping this friendly, I ask that you go back and look at your question. Then look at the responses you got, not one person intrepreted that to mean model number. People on this site are trying to be helpful and when you ask a question it also helps to be a bit more specific as to what you are looking for. You'll probably also get better responses if you don't tell people to go piss on a pole. That's probably the comment that touched me off and I give Chuckles a lot of credit for how he responded.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Thanks Chuckles....I did find those after someone said it was a ST50 - that information got me in the ballpark
GB, While the face plates appear the same, the wiring and sizes are different between the 30 and the 50. The owners manual should really guide you to which is which.

The question you have to ask your self is if they work (and you'll have to install them to determine that - and that requires the manuals) does it really matter what specific model it is? It would for support only - and you know now you can get very limited support from Raymarine.

If money is available I'd say go with ST60+ or 70's, or another manufacturer entirely. Tick Tack makes a nice unit from what I hear, installation is easy. I have a 60+ that worked about two weeks before a stick landed on my bird platform.
Old 06-04-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Gburton-

The ST40 is clearly mentioned on Raymarine's site.

Quote:
Do you really know if the the ST 30 was superceded by the the ST 40? I can't find any reference to a ST 40.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-04-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
We are all friends here. There is no reason for this to escalate to something silly. Everyone made their points and got their shots. Let's keep it civil or I start pressing buttons.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-04-2008

GBurton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
GB, While the face plates appear the same, the wiring and sizes are different between the 30 and the 50. The owners manual should really guide you to which is which.

The question you have to ask your self is if they work (and you'll have to install them to determine that - and that requires the manuals) does it really matter what specific model it is? It would for support only - and you know now you can get very limited support from Raymarine.

If money is available I'd say go with ST60+ or 70's, or another manufacturer entirely. Tick Tack makes a nice unit from what I hear, installation is easy. I have a 60+ that worked about two weeks before a stick landed on my bird platform.
Yup - my thoughts as well, but money is a bit tight. I'll probably wire them up on the bench and see if they work then go from there.
Old 06-04-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
GBurton-

Just FYI, many of the older transducers will work with the newer display heads. Most of the transducers are made by one company, Airmar, and they will also often work across brands as well as across different model lines within a brand. You many not have to replace the entire kit, but just the display heads, which makes it a lot more reasonably priced.

As an example, when I upgraded to TackTick instruments last year, from Raymarine ST60 gear, I didn't replace either through-hull transducer. The Raymarine ones worked just fine with the TackTick gear. The thing that generally indicates whether it will work properly is the wiring. If the old transducer has the same number of wires and color wires as the new one, chances are pretty good that it will work. The wiring for the transducers is done by Airmar, and they're standardized across their product line as far as I've seen. I've done the same thing with older Navman and Furuno gear.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-04-2008

Thank you. That is good information that will be usefull to me in the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
GBurton-

Just FYI, many of the older transducers will work with the newer display heads. Most of the transducers are made by one company, Airmar, and they will also often work across brands as well as across different model lines within a brand. You many not have to replace the entire kit, but just the display heads, which makes it a lot more reasonably priced.

As an example, when I upgraded to TackTick instruments last year, from Raymarine ST60 gear, I didn't replace either through-hull transducer. The Raymarine ones worked just fine with the TackTick gear. The thing that generally indicates whether it will work properly is the wiring. If the old transducer has the same number of wires and color wires as the new one, chances are pretty good that it will work. The wiring for the transducers is done by Airmar, and they're standardized across their product line as far as I've seen. I've done the same thing with older Navman and Furuno gear.
Old 06-04-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
We are all friends here. There is no reason for this to escalate to something silly. Everyone made their points and got their shots. Let's keep it civil or I start pressing buttons.

- CD
Nicely put, CD.

I would like to flesh this out a bit more, though.

Some of you may recall that GBurton is working on a virgin, unfinished Westsail 32 hull that he located. He's trying to complete the build-out and get the boat launched (or did it launch already?) So, if you go back to his relatively few posts, they tend to be terse questions about fairly specific topics, no chit chat, etc.

I get the impression GBurton only checks in to Sailnet and posts when he needs help with a specific problem. No rule against that, and clearly he's busy, pressed for time with trying to complete a large boat project. I also get the impression he has received some VERY HELPFUL replies to his questions from a variety of Sailnet members.

My suggestion to GBurton would be to offer more information in the initial formulation of his questions. In this particular case, it would have been helpful to say that he had already searched the instruments for labels and documentation, and found none. This may seem obvious or a given to GBurton, but he is not around here enough to see how often folks sign-in and ask questions like these without checking around a bit or doing even basic research. It is a source of frustration for many members.

I would also suggest to GBurton that he be less quick to reply sharply, and perhaps express a bit more gratitude for the good information he does receive (I recall, e.g., an instance where several of us alerted him to the need to barrier coat his boat's bottom, and then explained carefully how to go about doing this, and another instance where he received a fair bit of advice concerning how best to transport his boat). If all the members used the forum in the same manner as GBurton (ask question, get answer, leave, come back weeks/months later ask another question get answer, leave, etc), there would be no forum.

So a little appreciation for the help you get, and the effort put into sustaining the forum by other members, would go a long way. Also, add some more context to your questions, like "Hey, I'm making good progress on the Westsail, here are the latest photos. But I came across these instruments and can't find any documentation. Any info or leads appreciated."

And give us an update on the Westsail, would ya'??

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 06-04-2008

Ah well put John.
Here is the progress report: Completing a Westsail 32 kit boat
Old 06-04-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by negrini View Post
OK, if its not a tricky question, these are the old ST50 Autohelm series. I had them on a boat years ago.
Thank you negrini for a simple answer to a simple question
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.