Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-06-2008

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Interesting, Michael. I'd noticed that QK had disappeared from a couple of drugstores and pharmacies and they said "it was discontinued" but a call to the maker last week revealed it is very much still in production. I wonder if that issue is causing distributors to drop it?

Necrosis is not a good thing, but bleeding out kills faster, so perhaps the problem is one of training and judgement--not the product. When I mentioned sugar to a doctor he was apopleptic. Then he thought it over for a while and realized that in the context (uncontrolled bleeding in an location where no care would be available) he conceded that it might work. Emergency field medicine is a bit different from what you do in a deluxe facility.

Somewhere I'll try to get time to look into that. IIRC there are at least three totally different products competing for clotting aids, some in military use.

No offense taken! And my thanks for taking the time to come back on that.

An irrigation syringe is a great idea--that's why they are sold under that exact name. Heck, 20 years ago "they" said to disinfect with peroxide. Now, "they" say peroxide turns flesh into bacteria-chow, so it should only be used when a deep gash can't be cleaned by better means. And that the breathing part of CPR is apparently a waste--the time is better spent on just compressions.

I try to keep up on these things, but if they tell me to carry leeches, I'm just not going to listen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2008

WinterRiver is on a distinguished road
I appreciate the list, Michael. I'll be adding items to our first aid kit.

One thing I've done is made up a very simple everyday first aid kit. Most often when we go for the first aid kit it's for something very minor, when all that's required is tweezers or a little antibiotic cream and a band-aid. Having duplicates of the most basic items keeps them more accessible and keeps the other kit organized and complete if we need it for more serious injuries.
Old 06-06-2008

bhcva is on a distinguished road
Burn ointment

Great list Michael.

From experience, I would also include Silvadene for serious burns. Not sure though what the shelf life is.

Bruce
Old 06-06-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Silvadene is something well worth carrying. Burns are a risk, especially on a small sailboat galley...where pots can move of their own accord. It's pretty stable stuff IIRC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-06-2008
Ignoring Trolls in 2009

TxLnghrn is on a distinguished road
"Necrosis is not a good thing, but bleeding out kills faster, so perhaps the problem is one of training and judgement--not the product. When I mentioned sugar to a doctor he was apopleptic. Then he thought it over for a while and realized that in the context (uncontrolled bleeding in an location where no care would be available) he conceded that it might work. Emergency field medicine is a bit different from what you do in a deluxe facility.

Somewhere I'll try to get time to look into that. IIRC there are at least three totally different products competing for clotting aids, some in military use."

I completely understand your point HS, and agree. I just returned from a wilderness medicine conference and the topic of clotting products was a hot debate. We also had an Air Force flight surgeon in our class and yes the military is looking closely at the products as well. I think it is a great technology that will be developed into a safe useable product very soon, current products are very exothermic. The point of my list was to create a set of products that could be used by a lay person safely, QuickClot may have a role, but the concept of uncontrollable bleeding to a layperson and a medical person sometimes differs greatly and I would hate to see someone set a wound up for massive infection on a something that time and good pressure dressing would handle. Remember "First do no Harm." IMHO of course

As for Silvadene....I love the stuff, but one of my caveats was no prescription meds, Antibiotic cream is a good OTC replacement.

Michael
Hull #15
Old 06-06-2008
C & C 32'

fireman181 is on a distinguished road
A variety of kits can be had from Police Equipment - Public Safety Equipment - Police Uniforms : Galls. They serve the fire/police/ems community. They are well priced, and have kits for all skill levels.......buck
Old 06-11-2008

dave6330 is on a distinguished road
We built our own, stored in a tupperware type container and stocked it ourselves. I think that's the best way to ensure you know what's in it and, more importantly, how to use it.

"Fight the good fight, holding on to faith and a good conscience. Some have rejected these and so have shipwrecked thier faith"

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.