SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

First Aid Kit / First Aid Book

6K views 36 replies 16 participants last post by  dave6330 
#1 ·
Over the weekend I found myself with a nasty cut. Because I was about 3 hours from the nearest medical services, I pulled out my on board first aid kit. I found that I had plenty of things to clean the cut out but no way to close the wound. I could cover the wound with Band Aids but because this cut was wide open, Band Aids only soaked up the mess instead of closing the wound. (ick...I know)

It made me think about the kit that I keep. It's apparant that it's not adequate, even for short sailing trips.

I see the there are nice kits available that range from around $20 to more than $1,000. It's hard to know what will be essential.

Can anybody recommend a good kit? I'm looking for one that would not only work for short weekends but also be good enough for off shore sailing.

I'm also wondering if anybody can recommend a good first aid book. I have no medical background so it has to be easy to read and understand in an emergency.

Thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
I have an REI hiker first aid kit and found it to be excellent and very fairly priced. It also comes zipped up in it's own little bag. It has gauze and sterile pads you could have used to close up your wound. It did have a little book with it but I'm not sure you could really use it in an emergency.

REI Backpacker First Aid Kit from REI.com

I forgot to add that the red cross selles these "preparedness" packs I think they call them. They are similar to the REI concept. I've seen them at wal mart, target, supermarkets, etc. They usually come in a plastic box, not bad either

#3 ·
Where there are no doctors. I downloaded the pdf to my hard drive, many chapters but all you'll ever need to know.

Download here, middle of page:

Hesperian Foundation

#4 ·
We have an REI kit as well. We also have a West MArine kit. Both are the "compartmentalized" kind, i.e. they have mini-kits inside that are labelled for the kind of injury/emergency they are used for. Like "Cuts/Lacerations", "CPR", "Trauma", "Medication", etc (I'm making those titles up, so don't quote me). We like this arrangement, since it will help us to respond better in an emergency situation when the pressure is on.

Our kits are designed for 5-7 people, where emergency assistance can be reached within a few hours. It includes scalpel and suture needle, for stitching, as well as those special butterfly band-aids that can hold a larger wound closed without stitches. This is fine for coastal sailing. We'd need a much more comprehensive kit for off-shore cruising, with a sphygmomanometer, stethoscope, dental kit, etc.

One of the things I like about the REI kits is that they include a snake-bite kit. Not something you'd expect to encounter on a boat, but we all go ashore so there's always the possibility.

#6 ·
You might want to do a forum search for this topic. There was a thread a while back that went into great detail on this subject. I personally like to make my own First Aid Kits as I find most OTC kits lacking. (much the way you did) I have worked as an EMT, Firefighter, and was the Head Athletic Trainer for a couple of High schools years ago and as such, have put my own kits together many times. For my boat (short cruising) I use a "worm binder" from Bass ProShops. These bags have pockets inside each cover and then have ziplock like bags secured in a ring binder fashion in the middle. They work really well to hold supplies and keep them dry and organized.
Bass Pro Shops Extreme Binder Bags or Replacement Pages

#7 ·
I'd suggest taking a Red Cross, American Heart, or other First aid course. Books are great, but it is hard to bleed, read, and patch things up at the same time. Any of these resources would have reccomended things to carry.

I'm an RN and trailer sail / coastal cruise. Being a responsible healthcare provider, my first aid kit contains band-aids, 4x4's, generic Neosporin, paper towels, and duct tape. No, I'm not kidding, 99% of the time they work, and if they don't work I have a VHF and a GPS. If I were going offshore I would add a few things, though.

#8 · (Edited)
I like this kit from REI. It has most of what you might need for an extended cruise. It is the basis for the medical kit I carry on my boat. I also carry a smaller, less extensive day first aid kit as well. This book, by Dr. Eric Weiss, is a pretty good one as a quick reference, and IIRC, it comes in the kit above.

I would also recommend taking a good wilderness first aid course. The regular first aid courses aren't as useful IMHO, especially if you're out cruising, since they really aim at quick treatment until first responders can get there. If you're a week out of the Marquesas, that isn't all that useful-wilderness courses focus on the measures needed when help is more than 24 hours away-which is far more likely the situation.

#10 ·
I made my own

I went to Adventure Medical Kits and downloaded and printed out what they have in some of their boating medical kits. I can't remember is I used if it was for OffShore or Coastal or something else.

I then went to the local Pharmacy (Rite-Aid, CVS, Walgreens, etc.) and bought all of the stuff. In the end it was a little cheaper total outlay, but I was able to buy a lot more for the same money, so I used some to make smaller kits for kayaking, camping, and around the house. I then bought a medium sized plastic container, with a watertight lid, and put all the stuff into it. You can buy a basic first aid book for a few bucks, similar to the ones in the kits.

I segregated everything into little zip lock backs that I labeled. So in one ziplock, I have bandaids, another gauze, another, anti-sick medical, etc. That way everything is in it's place and stays dry.

DrB

#11 ·
I use a surplus metal 50 mm ammo canister I bought for $6 to keep my medical stuff in. It even has a seal on the lid, to keep the contains dry.

#12 ·
First Aid Kit

Julie,
Unfortunately most of the prepacked kits contain many useless or in some instances harmful items. Medical treatment away from immediate help needs to be looked at differently, for example in most circumstances it is better not to close a wound tightly (sutures, staples, dermabond) but instead cleanse bandage and plan on delayed closure (after 2-3 days) or closure by secondary intent (let nature take it's course). I have to second Sailing Dogs book recommendation, it is very well written. If you would like to email me with some specific requirements I would be glad to help you put together a list of things to buy and build your own kit. BTW my background is 18 years of prehospital and emergency medicine. Feel free to email me at michaelnelson70 at gmail dot com.
Michael

#13 ·
If you would like to email me with some specific requirements I would be glad to help you put together a list of things to buy and build your own kit.
Hey Tex, if you're thinking of putting together a list of what you consider a good kit, would you mind just posting it here? I, for one, would also like to see it.

...if one person's looking for the answer, it's likely that many people are.

#14 ·
I'd be glad to, I won't be able to get to it until tonight or tommorrow morning. I'm at work until midnight tonight. I think a kit needs to be somewhat individualized based on type of sailing, area of sailing and passenger/crew medical histories/concerns. After I post the kit basics, I'd be glad to help anyone individualize their kit, it is the very least I can do to return the immense knowledge I have gained from this site.
Michael

#15 ·
Thanks Mike. :) Look forward to seeing your list.

#17 · (Edited)
BTW, I actually prefer Eric Weiss's older book, which has more of a focus on marine medicine and issues. IIRC, this is the book that is included in many of their larger medical kits.

#18 ·
Again, I agree with you SD. (Must be something seriously wrong with me :D )
I just got back from a Wilderness Medicine conference and none of the books I looked at seemed as user friendly for a lay person as Weiss's stuff.

#19 ·
You must be seriously ill or demented, since you keep agreeing with me. :)

Weiss's books aren't traditional first aid books, which are generally geared to situations where first responders are less than an hour away, and hospitalization is an option within a few hours usually. His books are written for when you're four weeks along a trail with no way out or four weeks of sailing away from help.

#20 ·
Quick Take on the Daysail/Costal Cruising Medical Kit

I'm having a slow day at work so I will try and post this from memory and random thoughts, I reserve the right to edit it when I get home and can get to my lists. :D
First some caveat's :D
1. This is my opinion at this point in time, if you ask 3 medical people for their opinion, you are likely to get 5-6 answers.
2. I am a minimalist when I can be, I prefer objects with multiple uses.
3. This is intended for use within 3-4 hours of formal medical attention by laypersons. Things change quickly when offshore or more than a few hours from attention.
4. This is not all inclusive, but I think it provides a reasonable amount of safety and ability to respond to emergency situations.
5. As I stated above, I would be more than glad to help anyone with individual kit needs.
6. All of these items should be available over-the-counter. Prescription items do have a role in a proper medical kit in my opinion, but for now I am not going to list my preferences here.
7. I will post the item, sometimes a brief explanation, and a quick cost estimate. These are in no particular order, just as I think of them.

First Aid Manual - pick your favorite, I like Weiss's but many others exist and are well written. Go to a used book store and look through them, pick one with topics by body regions/complaints not diagnosis. $15

Hydration/Electrolyte replacement - pick your favorite type but preferably in a flavor you don't like so it is there when you need it. $5

Moleskin - blister coverage $1

Mosquito Spray - yes I consider it first aid, Dengue Fever anyone? $3

Sunblock - see above but substitute bad sunburn $10

Antibiotic Ointment - after cleansing wound and before covering $1

4x4 guaze - covers all wounds, clean but not sterile $1

Vet Wrap - stretchy tape like substance, somewhat waterproof, self adhesive, works to hold on guaze or protect joints like Ace Wraps - $2/roll

Tylenol - Safe in most people allergic to Aspirin or Ibuprofen - $3

Naprosyn - Great anti-inflamatory/pain med - $5

Benadryl - good for minor allergic reactions, helps in motion sickness, helps with nausea $1

Betadine solution - dilute and use as wound cleanser, 10 drops/liter of water will purify relatively clean water in an emergency (tastes terrible though) $1

Chemical Ice Packs - great for injuries, rapid adult beverage chilling ;) reusable models do exist $2-5 each

Eye Wash solution - rinse that seagull cr$%p out of your eyes $2

Gloves - medical gloves rip/tear/break down over time. Clean pair of dishwashing gloves doesn't (pink is a nice color on all of us :) ) $3

Hydrocortisone Cream - good for most rashes/itching - $1

Immodium - Antidiarrheal nuff said $3

Hemostats - great for splinters, toolkits, holding stuff up and together 4/$7

Safety Pins - slings and other uses most don't want to think of - $1

Sam Splint - shapeable, sizeable splint for most common sprains/fractures - $20

EMS Shears - cuts almost anything but skin - $5

Triangle Bandage - Great for slings - $1

Alcohol Hand Gel - pre and post bloody mess clean up for your hands, seriously though, studies show at least as effective as soap and water if not more so - $2

Ziplocks to keep it dry and a bag to carry and organize it in (use one of the numerous conference bags we have all received as giveaways.

Estimated cost (if my math is right, I don't have a calculator in front of me right now.................

$104

Much less than most prepacked kits. Although if anyone wants to send me $300 or so, I'll be glad to pack this all up in a conference bag of my choice and ship it to you.

Okay let the yeah but what about.....? begin :D

Seriously, I'll be glad to answer any questions ya'll have. I'm sure I didn't think of everything, but I do have opinions (some rather strong) on many of the items sold to boaters in the name of medical "safety."

Michael

#22 ·
Julie-

Don't forget the basics, like band-aids, which TxLngHrn has left off his list. :)

As for gloves, get nitrile, rather than latex...since some people are allergic to latex.

#23 ·
Bandaids and gloves

Julie and SD,
I intentionally skipped bandaids, they seal a wound too well causing maceration (skin breakdown..that slimy white look you have when you take the bandaid off) which increases infection risk. Of course this only happens if they dont get wet, fall off and get stuck in a corner in the lazerrette forcing contortions of your body to remove them after causing several more scrapes and bruises. ;) I much prefer to clean wound with Betadine and H2O, dry wound and then cover with 4x4 or a cut piece of 4x4 secured with vet wrap. Much more secure.

As for gloves, well fitting dish gloves are very sturdy reusable after washing and don't rip like nitrile. The concept of sterile is a myth outside of the operating room. The only advantage to Nitrile over dish gloves is an ability to feel a pulse through the nitrile.

Just my humble opinion.
Michael

#24 ·
Some band-aids don't seal as well as others. :) Keeping the wound dry and clean is important.

#25 ·
First Aid Kit

I am an RN and was just thinking of doing the same thing myself because we have just purchased a boat. I will get together with some of my fellow nurses and come up with a list for you which you can place in any plastic container. This will be much cheaper and have things you will actually use and need instead of 5 different kinds of bandaids.
tototoo

#26 ·
Tototoo-

Look forward to seeing your list. :) BTW, I would recommend you read the post I link to in my signature. It will help you get more out of your time on sailnet. :)

#27 ·
Julie, Target.com carries a wide variety of prepacked kist including the "American Red Cross" labelled ones. (The stores don't carry anywhere near as many.) WalMart also carries inexpensive first-aid kits.

But pretty much every kit you'll find has been targeted to someone's ideas and that may not meet your needs. One idea is to carry one smaller "cuts and aids" box, with the usual splinter tweezer, bandaids and antibiotic cream, etc. and then to carry a second larger kit (which stays closed until needed) that has the larger bandages and dressings, bottles of peroxide, saline, and alcohol for cleaning of larger problems.

By the way, a "dressing" is what you actually put on a wound, a "bandage" is something that holds the dressing in place. 4x4 tefla pads can be used as dressings on almost anything, and then covered with a bandage as needed to hold them in place.

You may also want a product like QuikClot QR, which is a powder that helps coagulation and stops bleeding from larger cuts. If you need to stop bleeding the traditional methods are in any first aid book or class (classes are a good idea for sailors) but plain white table sugar also helps coagulation. It is fairly sterile, eventually dissolves away without doing any harm, just helps form a clot and scab better than nothing. And doesn't sting. (You put the products on before the dressing.)

The more expensive commercial kits tend to be more comprehensive and very nicely organized--but you pay dearly for that organization. In any case, a med kit needs to be gone through twice a year looking for expiring products, so they can be replaced as needed.

#28 ·
Well said HS... :)

#29 ·
QuickClot

Just a warning,
QuickClot and similar products have shown to be of minimal benefit (if any) in most non-company sponsered trials, and in some cases has shown to cause tissue necrosis (death of tissue, not good if trying to avoid infection/scarring/lawsuits). Good bandaging technique and pressure dressings are all that is needed for almost all occasions IMHO.
Michael

#30 ·
I did pretty good from memory :)

Okay, I just got home and looked threw my lists, I found one item I think is appropriate for the kit I recommended here but did not mention. I'm sure I'll think of others as I try to go to sleep tonight :confused:
A large syringe - nothing irrigates wounds as well as a large syringe, preferably through some sort of tip to get the right pressure - I use an 18g. catheter, but a basting needle would work fine if you are carful not to poke the person :eek:
As I said before feel free to email or pm me with specific questions about your situation and feel even more free to blast my kit ideas. Great discussion leads to great learning for all involved.
Michael

ps hellosailor, I reread my post to you and realized I forgot to compliment you on the very well written response to the OP. I didn't mean for my post to come out as just a critique. I just wanted to add my 2 cents which is worth a little under 1 cent most times. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.