Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-06-2008
Detachable member

wchevron is on a distinguished road
Cleaning dodger windows

what do you guys use to clean the plastic windows on the dodger. i've been spraying them off with clean water after a sail but when they dry there are water spots all over them. i'd like to wipe them off but am worried about scratching the plastic. would the microfiber cloths work?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
There was a recent thread about this topic.
A product called "Prism Polish" was endorsed by several mambers back than.
I tried it with good results on.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 06-06-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Our local canvas guy sells Armada 210 ARMADA 21014OZ ARMADA 210 PLASTIC CLEANER/POLISHER Ships Store Torresen and I have found it to work very well.
Old 06-06-2008

captainrizzo is on a distinguished road
I used Meguires #10 and #17 and it worked great!

-Riz
Old 06-06-2008

Brezzin is on a distinguished road
Microfiber cloths should work fine as long as they are clean and I mean really clean. I think step one for you is to find out what your windows are made of that might dictate what you use as a cleaner. See if you can find a manufacture tag for the dodger and give them a call.
2007 Hunter 49
Old 06-06-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
We have lexan windows and the dodger builder gave us a can of "Plexus" to use on the lexan as a maintainer/polish. Works amazingly well but your windows need to really clean as do the cloths you use to buff it out. Its a spray, apply to windows, wipe it around with one cloth and then use a fresh cloth to buff it out. The windows "disappear" when freshly done. Be sure there's no salt crystals left on the window before application.

Apparently this is a product used on aircraft windshields etc.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-06-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brezzin View Post
Microfiber cloths should work fine as long as they are clean and I mean really clean. I think step one for you is to find out what your windows are made of that might dictate what you use as a cleaner. See if you can find a manufacture tag for the dodger and give them a call.
Amen to that!! You need to know if you have Strataglass or not. If you do then DO NOT use any of the aforementioned products and only use IMAR Protective Polish and Protective Cleaner!! Anything else on Strataglass can destroy the optical coating that makes them so clear..
Defender has the best prices I've seen on IMAR products..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 06-06-2008

fullkeel7 is on a distinguished road
I have had great results from Permatex's Plastic Cleaner (part no. 80183 (403D)) used w/cheese cloth over the years. Never had it scratch any surface and it will even remove cloudiness from convertible top plastic rear windows. I did a friends cloudy dodger with it and although it needed 2 treatments, it got most of the cloudiness out. Good stuff. We used it on aircraft wind screens, so you know they do not want a $75k window scratched. So I figured it should be good for a cloudy convertible top window, again it worked great with no scratches. Use the cheese cloth though.

The down side is that I've never had to buy the stuff so I'm not sure where to purchase it. Company would give us the stuff that was out of date... Toll free-- 877-376-2839 is Permatex's phone number @ 4555 Columbus Blvd, Hartford Ct 06106, if you can't find it in auto stores. Plexiglass, Lucite, fiberglass, windows are just some of the applications and it really works. I got the info off their site so they still make it.

Bob
Old 06-06-2008

lbdavis is on a distinguished road
Hal,

You say that one shouldn't use Prism Polish on Strataglass? Is Prism a more aggressive polish than the IMAR? I've heard many people speak highly of Prism Polish.

Plus, I have a bottle of it right next to me and was planning on using it on my strata tomorrow.

-LB
Old 06-06-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbdavis View Post
Hal,

You say that one shouldn't use Prism Polish on Strataglass? Is Prism a more aggressive polish than the IMAR? I've heard many people speak highly of Prism Polish.

Plus, I have a bottle of it right next to me and was planning on using it on my strata tomorrow.

-LB
LB,

There are two treatments for use on StrataGlass:

IMAR StrataGlass Protective Polish

And..

IMAR StrataGlass Protective Cleaner

All I can say is we've seen LOTS (I do some consulting work for a very high end canvas shop) of destroyed Strataglass from folks using the wrong products such as Plexus, 210, Meguiar's and Pledge to name a few. I can't comment specifically on Prism other than to say USE WHAT THE MANUFACTURER RECOMMENDS!

Remember, Strataglass has a very thin optical enhancing film on it to reduce distortion and improve clarity. If you wear it away, what you do when using Plexus, or Megiuar's you now have lost the benefits of Strataglass and it's optical superiority that you paid for.

Feel free to use what you want but I have personally had lengthy conversations with our Strataglass rep and heard many "war" stories of destroyed Strataglass. I really put him to the mat on this and just know that Strataglass makes NO money of recommending IMAR. They recommend it because it's been thoroughly tested and proven safe. According to our rep they have tested multitudes of plastic polishes and claimed protectors however I did not get names.. They recommend IMAR to keep their reputation good. Seth, the guy who owns the business I consult for, gives (well really it's built into the price, every new dodger owner both IMAR products when they take delivery.!

Use the Protective Polish once or twice per season then follow up in-between with Protective cleaner. The Protective Polish will remove the water spots unless they are acid rain etching which you can do nothing about.

Strataglass has NO vested interest in IMAR they make ZERO money from recommending it. They have simply tested it and find it is the BEST product for their product. They recommend it because they want to uphold their reputation and wearing away the optical coating will not do that..

These windows are now 8 years old and have only been cared for with Strataglass approved products.

Ignore the child and focus on the 8 year old windows (photo taken 5/26/08)!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.