SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Shelf life biocide fuel additive

6K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Shortman 
#1 ·
Having a sailboat I do not use a lot of fuel. I have been using the same container of Killem biocide for the three seasons I have sailed the boat. It has developed a yellow particulate that does not redissolve. It actually seemed to do that within the first year. Anyone have experience with shelf life of Killem or Biobor & how long it is safe to use?

#2 ·
Shortman-

Have you contacted the manufacturer? They can tell you what the shelf life of their products generally is.

#4 ·
Answer from mfg.

Once opened and exposed to air, the shelf life of Killem is about one year. The active ingredient in this biocide is "Sodium-dithiocarbamate" which is a salt and will tend to crystalize, over a period of time, once exposed to airborne contaminants. The shelf life could last longer if kept tightly sealed and in a cool, dry environment. The product still can be used past one year, albeit it will not be as effective as fresh product.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.