Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-07-2008

syon is on a distinguished road
Port hole replacements

Hi All,

Its been a while since i was last on here, and things are really booming on here, just by reading a few threads.

Anyway-

Since i became "landlocked" since 2004, i have used what knowledge i have garnered from solo sailing, and what i have seen amongst other liveaboard sailors, the cost of maintaining portholes and other items.

i have taken up CNC milling on a small scale, and have total access to Lexan, and composited plastics from where i am working, saving $$ for my next sabbatical.
I have come across some people that have found that the prices to replace a porthole is very prohibitive, needless to say, even discouraging.

I am wondering if the community would like to have an alternative way (cheaper, way cheaper) to having those portholes replaced.

Having had worked at Hunter sailboats in Alachua,florida, and SeaRay at Merritt island,Florida as well, (which got me hooked on the water , BTW),
I have made several attempts that were sucessful according to the owners.

All i would need is a template, and a picture and some measurements in order to make a replacement porthole-

Mind you, the sizes need to be under 8"w X 18", and you could, you you wanted to go with a different thickness from 1/4" to 3/8" to a max of 1/2"
Clear, smoky, or blue tinted, all are UV resistant.

If you are interested, please contact me via my email at syon007@comcast.net, and i would gladly assist you as much as i can.

Regards,
Sy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-07-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Syon..

I'm sure there are many who would be interested in another option! As long as this is sailor to sailor and this is NOT your primary business it seems ok to post this here though the mods will have to decide that not me.

One thing though is you really need to post a picture or most will never even consider it! New ideas need actual and physical touchy feely photos for anyone to actually bite.. Just my .02..

BTW It's Pea Soup out here! Typical Maine! Glad my cell broad band still works!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 06-07-2008

RXBOT is on a distinguished road
Re new portholes

I'm sure any local glass company could supply cut to fit glass lexan or any other suitable material , just bring in a sample so they can match size.
Old 06-07-2008

Good point, i'll get some pictures together and post them on here....
Its not my main business, its more of a side job at home, more of an idea that i came across, tried, and got good results thus far. just wanted to put it out there.
As far as having a glass company do it....ummm...why would you want "glass" on a sailboat?...lots of hazards in having glass on a sailboat when out bluewatering.

But thanks for the .02...

Sy
Old 06-07-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Well...

Actually Syon most of the blue water type ports are made of very thick tempered glass.

New Found Metals, Spartan Marine & ABI are just a few of the high quality port manufacturers who use tempered glass and not plastic. I've even been on some serious off shore Sword fishng vessels that have large glass windows and even those are very, very thick tempered glass...

P.S. Most glass shops will also cut Lexan and Acrylic panels..

These ports are glass!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-07-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by halekai36 View Post
Actually Syon most of the blue water type ports are made of very thick tempered glass.
That's my experience as well: The heavy-duty, solid bronze or stainless, through-bolted portlights used in purpose-built bluewater boats have thick, tempered, laminated safety glass.

Less robust portlights typically have plastic frames and lenses. In between, there are the aluminium frames with plastic (acrylic or polycarbonate) lenses.

Polycarbonate (Lexan) is a good strong substitute for tempered glass, but is susceptible to UV degradation in the long run. Available at local glass shops, as others have pointed out.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 06-07-2008

well, if you prefer glass, i guess its all good, but you can't knock a sailor for wanting to contribute..

Thanks for at least reading....

Sy
Old 06-07-2008

Don't..

Don't take it the wrong way there are MANY production boats with plastic ports that will need replacement. Your idea with photos may be what they need. Not everyone is willing to cough up close to $2700.00 for eight ports (without labor) as I did..

Old 06-07-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Yes, please don't take that the wrong way. We have a tendency to split hairs a bit here, especially when we're bored.

I rebuilt all the solid bronze portlights on our previous boat, and it occurred to me that the knowledge I had gained in doing so was pretty valuable. I simply don't have time for a sideline business like that. If you do, I could easily see how it could be worthwhile.

What I would suggest is a sort of "turnkey" approach, where you make it real easy by sending the client a bunch of "blank" covers for their portlights. They remove their portlights, install your blank covers (to keep the weather out), put the portlights in the same box you sent the blanks to them in, and ship them to you. You rebuild in your shop, then ship them back and they return the blanks.

Come up with a fair price per portlight and it could be profitable, who knows? All the best of luck to you.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 06-07-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
As if Halekai needed a reason to post more photos of his new port installation.

As Halekai points out, many of the higher-end ports use tempered glass, which is probably stronger and definitely more UV resistant than either acrylic (plexiglass) or polycarbonate (Lexan).

Quote:
Originally Posted by halekai36 View Post

New Found Metals, Spartan Marine & ABI are just a few of the high quality port manufacturers who use tempered glass and not plastic. I've even been on some serious off shore Sword fishng vessels that have large glass windows and even those are very, very thick tempered glass...

P.S. Most glass shops will also cut Lexan and Acrylic panels..

These ports are glass!!

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.