Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-19-2002

ekhar is on a distinguished road
Hydralic backstay pressure

I recently bought a boat with a hydralic backstay adjuster. The boat is Sweden 38.

The broker suggested 2000 psi when sailing and 500 when at the dock.

How are these numbers determined? By formula, method or feel? I understand the "bending of the mast" theory, but how much is too much?

The boat also has a babystay. Is that a consideration?

I sail locally in LI sound. Winds are typically 10-20kn so far. But I plan to venture out a bit further north.

Thanks for the advice.
Gene
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-19-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Hydralic backstay adjusters are used to control mast bend and forestay tension. Ine heavier going you want to tension the backstay to induce mast bend and tension the forestay. There really isn''t one set of static settings but as you start to build up weather helm, you increase backstay tension. This flattens both the mainsail and jib as well as opening the upper leech of both sails. Used in concert with the baby stay you cna get reasonably controlled mast bend. It is a trade off between too much power and to much depowering but the helmsman should be able to feel when the tension feels right.

Jeff
Old 06-20-2002

paulk is on a distinguished road

The babystay can also help to control mast bend (or induce it) by setting it up before tightening the backstay. The babystay can also be used like running backstays, to steady the center portion of the mast if it starts to "pump" in heavy winds. Masts on the Sweden Yachts series are not as spindly as, for example, Mumm 36''s, so the babystay may be superfluous in most Long Island Sound condidtions. It can make tacking the genoa a hassle. For more guidance on backstay pressure numbers, take a sailmaker out and note down what he says. Nice boat, the SY38!
Old 06-21-2002

ekhar is on a distinguished road

I have #2 on roller furling, this is the only furling sail that came with the boat. All other jibs were used for racing and are non-furling. #2 has no problem tacking.

It seems to me that the mast is not a single piece but several smaller pieces screwed together. My main concern is not to tension the rig too much or introduce too much bend.

I have the boat for only 1 month so far and It seems I spent more time cleaning the teak deck than sailing.

The winds at the sound, around Port Washington where I keep the boat, are usually 10-15, sometimes 20. No waves to speak off, so I never really had a chance yet to "play" with the rig. I only used running backstays once in 20kn winds, and only for the sake of using them.

The boat is a beauty though, both on performance end and interior. I saw a bunch of boats and when I saw the Sweden it was LOVE! Now I am dreaming about SY45. There is no end!

Thanks for the replies. I''ll re-read, digest and try it when conditions are right.
Old 06-22-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Hey, that''s my old digs. My family belonged to Knickerbocker Yacht Club in P.W. and my first boat yard job was at Sigsby''s.

Jeff