Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-09-2008

Pamlicotraveler is on a distinguished road
Problem Seacock -dripping. Is this abig deal?

I noticed a leaking (dripping) seacock this weekend and am wondering if it is a serious problem. I am attaching images, and after looking at the pictures I have to say they look scarier than I perceived at the time.

I noticed a small stream of wet area leading to the bilge. I noticed the base of the seacock. This is a forward seacock in the v-berth that feeds the forward head and an air conditioner.. It is dripping from the tapered plug, not at the base, although the base itself doesn't look too good, probably because it has been wet. I am hoping to wait until after this season to haul the boat and have the baseplate replaced.

My question is, is it safe, and advised, to tighten the nut to stop the drip while the boat is in the water? Will that likely stop the dripping? The dripping is 3-4 drip per second - that is to me substantial. It appears to stop dripping when it is off, so I have left it off and hopefully will dry out the base plate until I am there.

Also, is all of this corrosion a sign of some galvanic issue, or is that just a byproduct of the drip?

(Why am I only able to display the link to the photo in the post...other times I have been able to post the actual image in the body of the post???)

Last edited by Pamlicotraveler; 06-09-2008 at 12:02 PM. Reason: trying to display the image in the post instead of the link...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2008

beej67 is on a distinguished road
Anything dripping below your water line is a big deal. I'm no expert, but looks like time to haul and replace it, to me.
Old 06-09-2008

lbdavis is on a distinguished road
I'm going to have to go with beej on this one. The gold standard here would be to replace.

My concern with tightening is that you do risk a larger leak. It is quite possible that the threads in there are corroded and barely holding on. I had this happen to me on 1983 Perko seacock this winter that I was servicing. I was on the hard, so it wasn't an issue...

Are you using the button in the middle for inserting pics:
Old 06-09-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I would NOT tighten any bolt it may break. It is time to haul and replace it, please don't wait to long. If the dripping is 3-4 drip per second, that is substantial.

Good Luck,
Paul
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-09-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Holy moly Batman! Don't touch that sea **** till the boat is OUT of the water. Get it out quickly.
Old 06-09-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesail99 View Post
I would NOT tighten any bolt it may break. It is time to haul and replace it, please don't wait to long. If the dripping is 3-4 drip per second, that is substantial.

Good Luck,
Paul

I agree with Paul, this is CRITICAL I don't like the looks of the seacock at all. It is bonded also, if the zincs have not be maintained it can be eating away from the inside. Replace and Replace NOW!
Old 06-09-2008

WinterRiver is on a distinguished road
I agree with the replace crowd.

You don't want it to escalate to this or worse:

A recent discussion of faulty seacocks, and some good maintenance advice: Seacock Surprise
Old 06-09-2008

Pamlicotraveler is on a distinguished road
My thoughts exactly guys. Dang... Another trip to the boatyard and more boat units even though I just had it hauled and had the seacocks "serviced" and several base plates replaced in APRIL!!

P.S. Why are my pictures showing as links instead of in the post like they usually do. I've tried larger pics and smal and this time, for whatever reason, they are showing as links. I am using the insert image icon the same way I always do.???
Old 06-09-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Quote:
My thoughts exactly guys. Dang... Another trip to the boatyard and more boat units even though I just had it hauled and had the seacocks "serviced" and several base plates replaced in APRIL!!
If you had the seacock serviced in the picture you just showed:

1. See about a refund from the Marina.

2. Check your zincs!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-09-2008

fullkeel7 is on a distinguished road
Had a similar looking thru hull on a Cape Dory, though it wasn't leaking. Found the internal threads of the thru hull were almost completely gone with corrosion and just a hair of both flange bolts were left. It was VERY EASY to remove. I would agree...you're really flirting with a disaster and I wouldn't BREATH on that thing! Hope you have a tapered wood plug handy until you can pull the boat.

Also I noticed the valve is bonded. With stray voltage, that could be part of your problem....but boy, that's another whole 'do or don't' topic for discussion!

Bob