Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-10-2008

tadds is on a distinguished road
Which Radar to Buy

OK my 1975 vintage Furuno Radar bit the bucket and I am looking for recommendations for a replacement. I sail in Casco Bay Maine which gets lots of fog on short notice in July and August. The traffic gets heavy too around Portland harbor so radar is essential equipment. I use a handheld GPS so I am not sure I would need the overlay variety radar. Just an easy and simple unit.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-10-2008

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
Tadds, I did a search some time ago for my own unity. I red Practical Sailor review on several unities, and found Furuno and Raymarine, by far, the best ones. In fact, I went to 3 different boatshows and had the opportunity to see it operating demo mode, and did "click" all the buttons, for JRC, Garmin, Furuno and Raymarine. I concluded that all of them has same basic functions, and some chart overlay. I could not compare the real stuff, like target discrimination, but I found Raymarine pretty straight forward compared to the others. Menus, "clicks", pages, etc .. were very intuitive to me, taking a 5 min to get used to the unity. I got the E80 screen, with 2KW radar antena, and use it for 2 years now. Chart overlay was my major requeriment, but confess I use it rarely, as the screen become too overloaded with information making hard to tell things. I found the radar/chart side-by-side screen much more controlable and far easier to see. Marpa is also very usefull (I have gyro info on net), but could live without a target tracking. Alarms is a must, and use it so frequently that I can't imagine how could I live without that before. Another point of choice was the extensive dealers support. I installed a Furuno at a friend's boat (he's happy with the radar anyway), but it was a nightmare to contact support services for cabling, extension and options, that we decided to install it in a different location without accessories. The unity (B&W screen) has very crispy discrimination, good size (7") and function very well, but I missed the easy of use, as needed to go over the manual o couple of times to remind me some functions. In the other hand, Raymarine provide a full web support, that works 90%+ of times you need them.

Last edited by negrini; 06-10-2008 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-10-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
On a straight radar, I agree with Negrini that it is hard to beat Raymarine...but from a recreational sailor viewpoint and a budget orientation, I like the Garmin approach if a chartplotter is to be integrated....even though I own a Ray combo radar/plotter myself. Ray let me down on mapping and compatibility going forward and if I want to upgrade my plotter I have to throw out all my charts. That is poor concern for existing customers in my book.
Old 06-10-2008
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
I've got a JRC1000, about as cheap as they come. It is a lot better than no radar, but of course the resolution is a bit tacky compared to products of twice the price.
Old 06-10-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
The raymarine C70 radar package can't be beat for performance or price.

$1899. plus a couple hundred bucks back in rebates

Last edited by bubb2; 06-10-2008 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-10-2008
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
I would get any 4KW model for better target discrimination.
Old 06-10-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
I bought a JRC 1000, and it works, and has been reliable. It does not have much of a range though. It's not a big unit.
Old 06-11-2008
Wannabe Sailing Bum

Vitesse473 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
I would get any 4KW model for better target discrimination.
The 4kw radomes are superior to the 2kw's, and JiffyLube is right on about the extra target discrimination; let alone ability to see through rain. However, you must take into account that benefit versus the size/weight difference that will affect the "Righting Moment" (Rm) on your particular boat. Do not just blindly go get a 4kw without considering the effect it will have on your Righting Moment.
Old 06-11-2008
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitesse473 View Post
The 4kw radomes are superior to the 2kw's, and JiffyLube is right on about the extra target discrimination; let alone ability to see through rain. However, you must take into account that benefit versus the size/weight difference that will affect the "Righting Moment" (Rm) on your particular boat. Do not just blindly go get a 4kw without considering the effect it will have on your Righting Moment.
I have a 4KW radome that is 24" in diameter, that is only 6" in diameter larger than the small 2KW units. The righting effect in my case is practically non existent, with the radome on a backstay pole with self leveling abillity.
Old 06-11-2008

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
For a 25% more crispy radome, 4KW is only 5% havier (1lb) and 20% hungrier (0.5A) . Real difference is on $$ tag !