SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Fender marks... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/44079-fender-marks.html)

bettyswollocks 06-12-2008 08:54 AM

Fender marks...

Well not strictly speaking - I came into dock a bit too hot the other day and scraped a 2ft section of the hull on the rubber edging on the quayside pontoon. I now have a white mark on my blue hull that stubbornly refuses to budge. Anyone know of anything to get it off ?
Tried White Spirit,WD-40, Meths,Gumption, even toothpaste......all to no avail !

AlanBrown 06-12-2008 09:06 AM

Try Soft Scrub. Used it recently to clean rust stains on my transom. Did a great job.

beej67 06-12-2008 09:17 AM

Off topic a bit (don't do this for your problem necessarily) but I found that Toilet Duck or Tidy Bowl or any of those types of cleansers do an amazing job at getting up rust spots from fiberglass.

Freesail99 06-12-2008 09:21 AM

I wonder if you have a blue hull, if it is not painted. If painted nothing is going to remove the scrape, but a new paint job.

beej67 06-12-2008 09:42 AM

If you use something very chemically active, test it out on a little piece of your hull first. It'd be a shame if you ended up with a big white spot instead of a small white scrape.

Zanshin 06-12-2008 10:21 AM

Acetone will dissolve the scrape marks, but might be too aggressive for your hull. You could try it on small, hidden spot. If you don't have Acetone, you can give it a go with nail polish remover - same base chemical.

camaraderie 06-12-2008 10:49 AM

STOP!! Do NOT use anything on your hull if it is painted...you will need an entirely new paint job if you use anything with any abrasive qualities or even a soft scrub type sponge.
If you have a scrape from the dock that goes into the paint...there is nothing to do but get touch up paint and repair.
If instead what you have is rubber from the white dock bumpers this can eventually be removed with a soft cloth or brush and dishwashing liquid. I have found (don't ask me how!) that the white rubber actually degrades quickly and is easier to remove if you just wait a week or so.
If you must DO something now...try the acetone Zan suggested very gingerly on a little bit of it and with a soft cloth.

bettyswollocks 06-13-2008 04:32 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions people.
Freesail - you bear an uncanny resemblance to Ron Jeremy.....just thought I'd mention it, you could use it to good advantage !

philsboat 06-13-2008 06:14 AM

Mr. Clean magic eraser took all the marks off my hull that I couldn't get with regular cleaners.
Phil

drgamble 11-11-2008 05:24 PM

I had the same thing happen with a dock wheel on my poly-acrylic painted navy blue hull. I was able to use Meguairs One Step Compound and after about three applications by hand and some elbow grease, was able to get the mark out. After reading MaineSail's hull posts, I know he doesn't recommend "one step" or "essential oil" cures and this Meguairs product is guilty on both counts...- one of the products he mentioned is 3M Marine Super Duty Compound. I also applied wax after completing... Results turned out very well