Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-13-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindOfBlue View Post
We had on a mooring with the pennants on the bottom last year. On two different occasions one of the pennants chafed through under the mooring ball. I figured that barnacles & abrasive chain/shackle on the bottom of the ball were the cause and if they attached on the top, we would have better chances.
Chris,

You need floats on the pendant and a SWIVEL connected as show in the Hamilton Marine diagram or you WILL wrap & chafe. I'm going on 13 years with this configuration and I have yet to have my pendants wrap the chain and I have never had any chafe bellow water.

I run my Yale pendants three seasons before replacing and they usually still look fine though somewhat faded..

Moorings are a system and all pieces have to work together floats, swivels, shackles and pendants..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-13-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by halekai36 View Post
John,

I've seen that done. I happen to have Hamilton five minutes away though.

I use one "Seine Net Buoy" for bellow the water to hold the shackles in place then about six of the "White Oval Floats" ($1.41 each) for above water to float the pendants....
Yeah, those buoys are not unreasonably priced. In my case, I also wanted to get the job done NOW, so the thrifty approach was also more expedient than waiting for an order to be delivered 3-5 days later.

Must be nice living so close to Hamilton!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 06-13-2008
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Our pendant connects under the ball to a swivel on the chain... i figure that it doesn't twist (around the ball) this way and i also cut a "link" out of the system by only using the ball as a float, not as a connection point. It gets fouled faster but....

Old 06-13-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I like suggestion number two particularly...if the pendant "stands off", you can't have the problem.

We use old tires that barely break the surface, with the moor running up the "hub" (and a chain running to an old railcar wheel as the actual moor!) Not a problem, but the mooring ball is far more common a method.
Old 06-13-2008

steelboat is on a distinguished road
Halekai, in our harbor they're trying to move everyone to a thru the ball system, because there have been many problems with swivels not swiveling when they're supposed to, and pennants chafing thru... in fact we lost a J-40 last week for just that reason. The boat came to rest , upright, on a gently sloping rocky beach, balancing gracefully on her winged keel. The owner (a friend of ours; I sailed this boat Marion-Bermuda) got the call at 6:20 AM... your boat's on the rocks... and went racing down to the harbor to find her sitting there, upright and undamaged. They propped her up with boat stands (gently) and waited for the tide to come back, when they got her off. Amazing that she didn't damage herself or anyone else on her way through the mooring field.
I have a thru the ball system, and found that with floats and heavy carpet duct taped around the big shackles and thimbles, the top sides stay clean and the pennants don't wrap, but without both, they do.
Best, Bob S/V Restless
Old 06-13-2008

radly53 is on a distinguished road
I have a hard thru ball system setup with lots of flots on the pennants. it works well and this the second year with it. But the big problem is when its calm or the wind and tide is opposed the ball bangs and its very disturbing.its like someone with a hammer smacking your boat at the water line.
More than once my wife has had me up on deck at 3 or 4 putting fenders over the bow, to stop the banging. It dose not work!
I m planning to go back to a soft ball next year.

Sea Fever
Bristol 29.9 #49
Falmouth, Maine