Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2008

Catalina274me is on a distinguished road
I have a Catalina 27 that was tricked out for racing before I took ownership of her. I do have the solid vang and have to say I love it. With the topping lift and a full batten main you could snag the battens on it.
Old 06-13-2008

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
SD is correct, I had to use mine a couple of times when main halyard jammed on top. That would also give you more confidence to put on your hammock
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-13-2008

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
OK.. So, I just spent the big bucks on my new Garhauer rigid vang on my Catalina30. I'm getting ready to take off my topping lift, but now you guys are making me question that.

The topping lift flaps around and catches on things, so, I THINK I want to get rid of it.

My rigid vang bottoms out if it goes much below horizontal, so I don't quite understand why I would need the topping lift to support the boom when I am reefing. I would think that the rigid vang would hold the boom (and me) up nicely.

On the Catalina 30 forum, someone said that you'd want to keep the topping lift to keep the boom centered, which makes even less sense to me.

I'm thoroughly confused. Please educate me.

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown

Last edited by djodenda; 06-13-2008 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-13-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Why not lead the topping lift forward and secure it at the base of the mast instead. Then it'll be available when you need it, but not flapping around on you.

BTW, most rigid vangs clearly state they should not be used to support the boom on a normal basis, and that if the boom is being stored for a long period of time, a topping lift should be used.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-13-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by djodenda View Post
OK.. So, I just spent the big bucks on my new Garhauer rigid vang on my Catalina30. I'm getting ready to take off my topping lift, but now you guys are making me question that.

The topping lift flaps around and catches on things, so, I THINK I want to get rid of it.

My rigid vang bottoms out if it goes much below horizontal, so I don't quite understand why I would need the topping lift to support the boom when I am reefing. I would think that the rigid vang would hold the boom (and me) up nicely.

On the Catalina 30 forum, someone said that you'd want to keep the topping lift to keep the boom centered, which makes even less sense to me.

I'm thoroughly confused. Please educate me.

David
David,
The "topping lift" that keeps the boom centered is the type that consists of a short pennant that usually has a spring clip on the bottom and is Nico-pressed to the backstay.

The benefits of having a topping lift have been addressed already, it can serve as a spare halyard and can even haul a flag aloft when sailing or dressing the ship.

As SD says, a topping lift can be rigged so that it can be unshackled from the end of the boom and brought forward when sailing to prevent hanging up on the battens.
Some systems wouldn't lend themselves to that very well like the ones that run through the boom. However, I think the OP was in a situation where he has none and can set it up anyway he wants.

Steve
Old 06-13-2008

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Steve:

OK.. I get it. I've had topping lifts that were attached to the backstay that certainly did help keep the boom centered.

Not this one. As you suspected, It's a wire from the masthead, that goes through a block on the end of the boom, attaches to a line, and travels forward to a cleat. You adjust the height there. Not much use as a spare halyard!

I actually have an extra sheeve at the mast that I could use and make a "real" topping lift/spare main halyard/flag halyard.

I'll muddle this over this a bit, I think.

Thanks,

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown

Last edited by djodenda; 06-13-2008 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Where credit's due...
Old 06-13-2008
not-so-old salt

tonybinTX is on a distinguished road
Also note these fine people are speaking of a running topping lift, not a fixed one. I've a fixed wire from the masthead to the boom end (with a 2 ft adjustable loop line on the boom end) as my topping lift. I've seen many people use their main halyard as a topping lift while not sailing.

I just installed a boomkicker because my new, full batten, roachy main hangs on the wire topping lift. My next trip up the mast will be to remove the wire and to rig a spare 'running' halyard for the many reasons others have suggested.

I love the boomkicker! Cheap (compared to rigid) and really a breeze to install.

Last edited by tonybinTX; 06-13-2008 at 08:16 PM. Reason: David beat me to it!
Old 06-13-2008
Sailed it!

tcase10 is on a distinguished road
WOW, thanks for the input. I agree with Tony, I can use my main halyard if needed as a lift if stored for long periods. Also, I am installing a furler and should have an additional halyard that will not be used other than a drifter or spinnaker. I saw that breakingwind said if I want to use a spinnaker to go with a topping lift. I assume that he was referring to using the lift for the spinnaker, but I am not sure. Is that correct?
Old 06-14-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcase10 View Post
WOW, thanks for the input. I agree with Tony, I can use my main halyard if needed as a lift if stored for long periods. Also, I am installing a furler and should have an additional halyard that will not be used other than a drifter or spinnaker. I saw that breakingwind said if I want to use a spinnaker to go with a topping lift. I assume that he was referring to using the lift for the spinnaker, but I am not sure. Is that correct?

I am not sure what Breakingwind meant by that. Perhaps he was thinking about a pole topping lift.
You certainly wouldn't want to use a topping lift or any other halyard exiting the aft side of the mast for a spinnaker halyard.
Your new furler must be a CDI or another brand with an internal halyard. Most furlers still require the use of the headsail halyard.
You may want to rethink using a regular halyard for a spinnaker. A proper spinnaker halyard will be forward, (above) the headstay. If you use a regular halyard for a spinnaker it will chafe on the headstay on one tack or the other unless you reset it each time. Thats why most spin halyards run through a block hanging from a bail at the masthead.

Steve
Old 06-14-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Not to drag this off-topic, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
You may want to rethink using a regular halyard for a spinnaker. A proper spinnaker halyard will be forward, (above) the headstay. If you use a regular halyard for a spinnaker it will chafe on the headstay on one tack or the other unless you reset it each time. Thats why most spin halyards run through a block hanging from a bail at the masthead.
The things you learn here . I'd been wondering why our spinnaker halyard was rigged so differently from the two jib halyards, and now I know. In retrospect: It's obvious.

Jim

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.