Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-14-2008
Voyager

Columbia9_6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Columbia9_6
A topping lift is a multi-functional device. A rigid vang, or boom kicker are not; they serve one purpose. So, you have to ask yourself... Do they perform that single purpose so much better that either of the others that it warrants having it onboard? For me, the utility of a topping lift far out weights the capability of either a boom kicker or a solid vang. A topping lift can be used as an emergency halyard, to lift the tender, as a crane when loading heavy objects at a quay, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Columbia 9.6
Distant Horizon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2008

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
OK... I'm muddling some more.....

In last weeks episode, you will recall that:

1) I have installed a new rigid vang on my Catalina 30

2) The existing topping lift is a wire that runs from the mast head, and connects to a rope, which attaches to a block at the end of the boom and travels forward to a cleat on the boom.

3) This topping lift is annoying, as it snags on my battens, and flops about in a bothersome manner.

4) Others have stated that it's important to have a topping lift to properly support the boom during reefing.

5) Others have stated that it's not a good idea to let the boom rest on the solid vang when moored.

6) The topping lift, since it is a attached to the mast top, is not useful for hoisting things.

Since I could attach my main halyard to my boom end when moored, this eliminates problem #5. It seems to me that the only advantage of keeping the existing topping lift is problem #4. If I wanted to have the other advantages of a "proper" topping lift, I could run line through my extra aft sheeve and make one. I'm wondering if this is worth the trouble.

I'm going to jump around on the boom this weekend and seem how stable it seems.

Your input, as always, is welcome.

Still thinking....

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 06-14-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by djodenda View Post

1) I have installed a new rigid vang on my Catalina 30

2) The existing topping lift is a wire that runs from the mast head, and connects to a rope, which attaches to a block at the end of the boom and travels forward to a cleat on the boom.

3) This topping lift is annoying, as it snags on my battens, and flops about in a bothersome manner.

David
David,
You can detach the wire topping lift from the rope. Secure it forward with a separate piece of line somewhere where it won't bother you.
Tie a stopper knot on the rope and pull it against the sheave at the end of the boom.
That way you are removing it for all intents and purposes and can see what it's like without it for awhile.
When you have a chance to go aloft at a later date, you can remove the wire and add a running topping lift or not.

In my experience, it is not uncommon to see boats that are equipped with a rigid vang or boom kicker with no actual topping lift. It's a personal preference thing.

Steve
Old 06-14-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Our topping lift is static. There's a small 2:1 tackle on the end for adjustment. It attaches to the boom with a carabiner-ish shackle. Thus I can easily move it to the mast boot (ours has been upgraded with a square plate underneith that has plenty of holes all around) and secure it there.

Of course: If one should forget to move the topping lift back to the boom before lowering the main, an embarrassing moment results

Jim