SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Topping lift vs. boom kicker (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/44093-topping-lift-vs-boom-kicker.html)

tcase10 06-12-2008 11:27 PM

Topping lift vs. boom kicker

What do you think? I have a catalina 27 and do not have a topping lift or boom kicker but want one to keep the boom out of the cockpit. I also do not have a vang, but will add one when I put the other. I have a standard rig and mid boom sheeting. Thanks.

bubb2 06-12-2008 11:29 PM

Belt and suspenders not a bad thing. go for both!

montenido 06-13-2008 12:34 AM

Why not install a rigid boom vang? That will support the boom when needed and still pull it down when needed.

lbdavis 06-13-2008 12:45 AM

One good reason

Quote:

Originally Posted by montenido (Post 328444)
Why not install a rigid boom vang?

$$$$$. I don't know how well those kickers work, but I don't think of 27'ers as having rigid vangs.

SEMIJim 06-13-2008 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbdavis (Post 328446)
$$$$$. I don't know how well those kickers work, but I don't think of 27'ers as having rigid vangs.

Why not? The Cat 27 we looked at, all tricked-out for racing, had one. Yeah, they're expensive.

Some comments I saw on this subject on Brion Toss' forum indicated that for other than racers, a boom kicker plus topping lift is better than a rigid boom vang, however.

Why the topping lift if you've got the boom kicker? In heavy air and seas you're going to need to hold onto that boom for dear life when reefing or taking the main down. The kicker isn't going to hold that boom up steadily with your weight bouncing up and down on it.

Jim

knothead 06-13-2008 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcase10 (Post 328421)
What do you think? I have a catalina 27 and do not have a topping lift or boom kicker but want one to keep the boom out of the cockpit. I also do not have a vang, but will add one when I put the other. I have a standard rig and mid boom sheeting. Thanks.

Tcase10,
A boom topping lift is very handy. I am surprised that you don't have one already. Could it have been lost somewhere in the past? I am assuming that you have a pennant attached to the backstay that you are currently using to hold the boom up. Right?
If you are able to get yourself up the mast, this is a job that you can certainly handle yourself.
If you have a masthead sheave open, then you can use that for a running topping lift.
If you want a wire with a block at the lower end then you just need to make up a piece of 1/8" vinyl coated wire with thimbles at each end, long enough to reach a couple feet short of where your boom normally rides and attach it at the top with a shackle.
You can also shackle on a block at the masthead and run a line through that.
Lots of options.
You can decide later about a boom kicker.

Steve

kiprichard 06-13-2008 07:56 AM

I'd go ridgid vang. Garhauer make one that is excellent quality at a resonable price.

BreakingWind2 06-13-2008 08:10 AM

Do you anticipate a day when you will want to fly a spinnaker? If so, go with the topping lift.

PBzeer 06-13-2008 08:13 AM

I have a rigid vang and a topping lift, and I like having both. If you can only add one though, I'd put on a topping lift.

sailingdog 06-13-2008 10:04 AM

The other advantage is that a true topping lift gives you another halyard to go aloft on or to use as a replacement mainsail halyard in an emergency.