SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Spot Sattelite Messenger

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Pamlicotraveler 
#1 ·
Any opinions, seems like an inexpensive usefull tool that perhaps could sve your life.

#3 ·
rxbot-

this is about the seventh thread on it. Not a safety device imho, since it has large gaps in coverage, and the SOS function doesn't really tie into the proper authorities AFAIK. If you want a safety device, get an EPIRB or PLB.

#9 ·
The coverage gaps are no worse than those for EPIRB (and since this device is running constantly it always has a GPS fix, so it will send an exact location right away, while EPIRB with GPS would take about as long to simply get a GPS fix - and EPIRB without GPS built in is virtually useless).

And the emergency message goes to private company that specifically deals with emergency response and rescue. In all honesty, I believe they will do a better job routing the message and getting appropriate help than official government monitoring (knowing how well official anything works).

#4 ·
tracking

Well at $170 and allowing your family and freinds to track your position it seems usefull. I beleive there is a special on where the annual $50. tracking fee is waived for one year. It's a multifunctional device that can be used for other things than just an emergency distress call. Also if it"s all you had it would be better than nothing.

#5 ·
Well at $170 and allowing your family and freinds to track your position it seems usefull. I beleive there is a special on where the annual $50. tracking fee is waived for one year. It's a multifunctional device that can be used for other things than just an emergency distress call. Also if it"s all you had it would be better than nothing.
The SailNet store has them for $135

#6 ·
Spot falls into the nice to have not need to have....

Its all very well until coverage stops for some reason and Next of Kin panic, having tracked you every hour up to that time. I would still like a fully function EPIRB onboard for the big event.

Its still pretty impressive technology and should sell well.

Check out Alex of Project Bluesphere's delivery trip from the VI's, covered on spot.

SPOT Shared Page

#7 · (Edited)
It is a safety device! It shouldn't be your only one though. I am using it and really think it is a neat way to allow friends and family see the progress of a trip. If you push the 911 button it goes to GEOS International Emergency Response Center every five minutes until cancelled.

The best feature is the check-in message for anyone you've preloaded on the internet. They get an email saying everything is fine and linking right to ggoglemaps.

Here is what our check in message says right now:

Wild Goose and the crew are doing fine! We are just checking in to let you know. SPOT Check OK.
ESN:0-7355548
Latitude:35.0985
Longitude:-76.2634
Nearest Location:not known
Distance:not known
Time:06/14/2008 17:45:48 (US/Eastern)
35.0985,-76.26345 - Google Maps

I realize I am giving out my exact location in a public forum right now. Any evil doers, keep in mind the Admiral is an NRA member and might be packin' heat. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.