Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-14-2008

RXBOT is on a distinguished road
Spot Sattelite Messenger

Any opinions, seems like an inexpensive usefull tool that perhaps could sve your life.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2008

SwanseaJack is on a distinguished road
I have one and used it to send tracking messages on a passage from Portugal to the UK. Worked flawlessly and appeared very reliable.
Old 06-14-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
rxbot-

this is about the seventh thread on it. Not a safety device imho, since it has large gaps in coverage, and the SOS function doesn't really tie into the proper authorities AFAIK. If you want a safety device, get an EPIRB or PLB.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-14-2008

RXBOT is on a distinguished road
tracking

Well at $170 and allowing your family and freinds to track your position it seems usefull. I beleive there is a special on where the annual $50. tracking fee is waived for one year. It's a multifunctional device that can be used for other things than just an emergency distress call. Also if it"s all you had it would be better than nothing.
Old 06-14-2008

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RXBOT View Post
Well at $170 and allowing your family and freinds to track your position it seems usefull. I beleive there is a special on where the annual $50. tracking fee is waived for one year. It's a multifunctional device that can be used for other things than just an emergency distress call. Also if it"s all you had it would be better than nothing.
The SailNet store has them for $135
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 06-14-2008

gtod25 is on a distinguished road
Spot falls into the nice to have not need to have....

Its all very well until coverage stops for some reason and Next of Kin panic, having tracked you every hour up to that time. I would still like a fully function EPIRB onboard for the big event.

Its still pretty impressive technology and should sell well.

Check out Alex of Project Bluesphere's delivery trip from the VI's, covered on spot.

SPOT Shared Page

Old 06-14-2008

Pamlicotraveler is on a distinguished road
It is a safety device! It shouldn't be your only one though. I am using it and really think it is a neat way to allow friends and family see the progress of a trip. If you push the 911 button it goes to GEOS International Emergency Response Center every five minutes until cancelled.

The best feature is the check-in message for anyone you've preloaded on the internet. They get an email saying everything is fine and linking right to ggoglemaps.

Here is what our check in message says right now:

Wild Goose and the crew are doing fine! We are just checking in to let you know. SPOT Check OK.
ESN:0-7355548
Latitude:35.0985
Longitude:-76.2634
Nearest Location:not known
Distance:not known
Time:06/14/2008 17:45:48 (US/Eastern)
35.0985,-76.26345 - Google Maps

I realize I am giving out my exact location in a public forum right now. Any evil doers, keep in mind the Admiral is an NRA member and might be packin' heat.

Last edited by Pamlicotraveler; 06-14-2008 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-14-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
For Pamlicotraveler

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-14-2008
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
rxbot-

this is about the seventh thread on it. Not a safety device imho, since it has large gaps in coverage, and the SOS function doesn't really tie into the proper authorities AFAIK. If you want a safety device, get an EPIRB or PLB.
The coverage gaps are no worse than those for EPIRB (and since this device is running constantly it always has a GPS fix, so it will send an exact location right away, while EPIRB with GPS would take about as long to simply get a GPS fix - and EPIRB without GPS built in is virtually useless).

And the emergency message goes to private company that specifically deals with emergency response and rescue. In all honesty, I believe they will do a better job routing the message and getting appropriate help than official government monitoring (knowing how well official anything works).
Old 06-14-2008

Pamlicotraveler is on a distinguished road
Thanks Freesail...Mother Superior enjoyed it much!