Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-15-2008

DaveXSquid is on a distinguished road
Painting Boat Interior

I need advice on painting the interior of a boat. I've got a 1971 Perason 30 and it's time the interior was redone. I'd like to use 2 different colors and I'd like neither to be glossy like you would find top side.
1) Ever painted the inside of a boat? Any tips?
2) What product(s) did you use?
3) There are wooden deck plated under the vbirth and other places. Must I use different paint on those wood surfaces that the fiberglas (i guess it's all fiberglas on the inside)?

Be super cool and give me some advice!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-2008

landlockvasailor is on a distinguished road
The first boat that I painted was in 1982, a Westerly Cirus. At that time the magazine Sailing had a eleven page article on the process. Since that time, I have not seen any other explanation that was so simply and could be followed. Since then I am now on my fourth refit. The paints are all about the same, but it is the prep. Follow the directions to the tee, do not take any short cuts. Have plenty of cheesecloth. If brushing, use a badger hair taper long handle brush (expensive) Use paper strainer to strain the paint into a small plastic container. Always walk through your area and imagine panting in the area.

Back to the paints. Two parts poly will last to years inside. Like interlux or petit.

Two colors inside, I would question why, dark color will make the area look smaller and hotter. Finally have plenty of thinning made for the that paint.

There are alot others in this group that have more experince than I. Wait till someone else gives you more info.
Tom
Landlockedvasailor.blogspot.com

Last edited by landlockvasailor; 06-15-2008 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-15-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you're going to be painting the interior of a boat, you'll probably want to prime the fiberglass and wood. As LLVS said, prep work is the key to a long-lasting paint job. In most cases, the prep work is the bulk of the work, not the actual painting. Be careful if you choose to use a two-part polyurethane paint, as the catalyst in them is cyanide-based and probably requires you to wear a good respirator if working in an enclosed space like a boat.

Be aware that glossy paints tend to last longer and tend to be more durable, especially in a marine environment, and are often easier to clean and maintain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-16-2008
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
I'm in the process of redoing the inside of my '84 Pearson 303. I decided on one part Interlux Brightside paint. I think one part will be fine for the interior where it is protected from the environment. I did not want to deal with the two-part paint toxicity issues in an enclosed space. I've only used primer in the few places where I needed to do some gel coat repair (PO had a small galley fire). I used the compatible Interlux primer. I'm not going to prime the rest, as the cabin liner has a type of non-skid pattern that the primer tends to obscure. I am using Interlux flattener to dull the gloss. Finally, I intend to roll on the paint where possible with a small roller, and will brush the trim and smaller areas as has been suggested. As for a two-tone effect, we decided to just paint the liner from the ceiling down to the tops of the settees. This section will be in white. The lower glassed areas will remain off-white.
Old 06-17-2008

DaveXSquid is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the input. It's great getting first hand advice.
Old 06-17-2008
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
automotive masking tape

If your two colours are going to meet (and I assume they will) I found that the vinyl automotive masking tape is wonderful. This stuff is expensive but gives a sharp edge and you stretch it around curves smoothly.

If you do not want too glossy a finish the paint makers sell flattening agents to cut the gloss.

Good luck
Old 06-17-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
SV - you may find not priming a item you wished you did do. When I painted mine - the paint would not adhere and would spread apart, even with prepping of a light sand (using Interlux one part). Especially, if your interior has that crackled textured thing going on. You do not have to necessarily use the Interlux primer - I found kilz worked fairly well (2 coats lightly sanded in between). If you do not prime the other areas do a light sand (fine grit) and use a good cleaner to get rid of all the dust, oils, and other stuff that the interior absorbs over the course of its life.

That was my experience... YMMV

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 06-17-2008
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbyjody View Post
SV - you may find not priming a item you wished you did do. When I painted mine - the paint would not adhere and would spread apart, even with prepping of a light sand (using Interlux one part). Especially, if your interior has that crackled textured thing going on. You do not have to necessarily use the Interlux primer - I found kilz worked fairly well (2 coats lightly sanded in between). If you do not prime the other areas do a light sand (fine grit) and use a good cleaner to get rid of all the dust, oils, and other stuff that the interior absorbs over the course of its life.

That was my experience... YMMV
Jody - Thanks for the pointers! I've got plenty of primer already, but I didn't like the way it filled the texture in the cabin liner. Then again, I'd much rather deal with that than peeling paint. I had planned to rough up the interior with a wire brush before painting, assuming it would do a better job of getting into the valleys of the texture than would sanding. Maybe I'll try a small area without primer first to see if the paint adheres. Or maybe thin the primer a bit. In any event, it is starting to look as though the interior project won't happen until fall (gotta sail now that the weather is nice).
Old 06-17-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
BTW, Trisodium Phosphate is a good cleaner for prepping the surface for painting. Was the old standby for contractors when my family owned a paint store long ago.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-17-2008
blue collar cruiser

soulesailor is on a distinguished road
I don't see any need to use a specifically marine oriented paint on the inside of a sailboat (except, of course, in watery areas like the bilge). They are very expensive. I painted the inside of my boat with oil-based exterior house paint and it has held up very well and looks great.

I, too, didn't want the colors to be glossy so I went with a flat finish. I was nervous it wouldn't look cheery enough but it matches well with the mix of oiled wood, polyed wood, instruments, lights and cushions. I'm happy with how it turned out and I have a f*@# ton of it leftover for future coats.

who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little