Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-16-2008
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
I used to only close our engine intake seacock, but a boat sank at our marina earlier this year when a head hose broke attached to an open seacock. Now we close all of the through-hulls when we're away for more than 24 hours.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-16-2008
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
I close all of ours every time we leave the marina - even if it is Saturday afternoon and we are returning on Sunday morning. Keeps the valves excercised and lets me sleep better at night (particularly if something comes up and I don't make it back to the marina until the following weekend). It has become a routine, as is opening the engine seacock before starting, and looking over the transom for waterflow after starting.
Old 06-16-2008

Hesper is on a distinguished road
I make sure all 5 are closed before I leave the boat even if I "know" I didn't use all of them. I had justification aplenty last fall when winterizing the boat and found the hose from the raw water intake seacock was so soft it literally fell apart in my hand. Another month in the water with an open seacock may well have led to disaster.
Old 06-16-2008

ardoin is on a distinguished road
Since i live on the boat, i do not close all each time i leave. I check the bilge
on a regular basis and check all the hoses and valves every two weeks.
Each is operated to make sure it still turns. I also check the the sweet water lines and connections every two weeks. If i have any question about the integrity of a hose, clamp or valve, i replace it.
Oh, I also never close the propane exhaust valve and have replaced it for showing signs of dry rot.
If i didn't live on the boat i might do this differently. I couldn't imagine having to crawl on the floor open the bilge and then crank open the sink valve every time it was used. I have one-way flow valves on exhaust drains and that gives me some comfort.
So i understand all the weekend sail crew closing up before they leave for the week, but what about other live-aboards? Honest replies now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-17-2008

catamount is on a distinguished road
The nature of one's particular boat, its design and how it's set up, probably plays an important role in how one approaches this question. On my boat, I do not have to pull up floorboards or crawl in bilges to access any of the seacocks. At most, I open a cabinet door and there they are. Their easy accessibility promotes the idea of opening then only when actually in use and keeping them closed at all other times -- if they were buried in some deep recess somewhere, I expect my approach would be different. Oh, and just because I know that they are (supposed to be) closed doesn't mean that I don't double check that make sure that they really are closed when leaving the boat.

, a new voice for ocean conservation
Old 06-17-2008
Older Junior Member

lsusailing is on a distinguished road
Do you close your.........

We have had 3 sailboats sink in the South side of our marina in the last 1 1/2 years. All were failed engine intake thru/hulls or hoses. Wether they were failed, or insurance frauds no one knows.
Close the engine intake and put a sign!! on the electrical switch and or engine switch reminding you to turn the water on. An experienced friend of mine forgot and he fried his engine! Happens a lot I would think
Old 06-17-2008
Barking Dog

KindOfBlue is on a distinguished road
Leave the key to start the engine on the engine intake sea ****. This way, you won't forget to open it. The ring on my key chain fits over the handle so the keys just hang on the sea ****, otherwise use a rubber band.
Old 06-17-2008

shebobah is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to shebobah
It's probably a good idea to keep them lubed up with some good anti corrosion like PB Blaster.
Old 06-17-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd be leery of using PB Blaster on working seacocks. IT can attack and damage a wide range of materials...
Quote:
Originally Posted by shebobah View Post
It's probably a good idea to keep them lubed up with some good anti corrosion like PB Blaster.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-18-2008

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
Thanks a lot you all. Will remember thoughts when I leave the boat next time, even knowing it will take me time to make it a habit. I'm just thinking that this forum should have a specific area for BEST PRACTICES on whatever related to sailing/boats/semanship. I was about to ask about your heavy wheather procedures and prep, but not sure if this will fit into Gear. looked in other general purpose sailing topics but that is more pic-nic rather. Anyway, thanks again team ....