SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Do you close your seacoks when leaving the boat ? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/44152-do-you-close-your-seacoks-when-leaving-boat.html)

negrini 06-15-2008 04:09 PM

Do you close your seacocks when leaving the boat ?

I must admit to have neglected this well spread advise, and have been fortunate that it never lead to a disaster. What I remember is handles falling off due to excessive usage and corrosion. Not wanting justify, never saw wise distribution to reduce the number of holes, neither to facilitate the acces, on my previous boats. Do you practice what you preach ?

sailingdog 06-15-2008 04:34 PM

Negrini—

Most of the problems with seacock handles are due to infrequent use, not overuse. The handles generally tend to break on seacocks that aren't used regularly. That said, yes, I close the seacocks when leaving the boat, but I only have two seacocks, out of four through-hulls, on my boat.

Also, by using the seacocks regularly, you'll generally spot upcoming problems, like excessive corrosion, earlier rather than later.

eMKay 06-15-2008 04:36 PM

My seawhat? :)

Harvester 06-15-2008 05:14 PM

I have 5 of them. Just locked them once to try... and some were pretty tough to move. Maybe I should think about it.

Does anyone know of any problem (sunk boat or similar) caused by not locking them?

sailingdog 06-15-2008 05:19 PM

Harvester—

We're talking about opening and closing them, not locking them.

The major problem is that if you have a hose failure below the waterline and the seacock is open, your boat will generally sink. :)

negrini 06-15-2008 05:40 PM

SD, my previous boat had 9 ! Distributed under aft berth, galey, fwd and aft bathroom. A pain on my weekends.

Rockter 06-15-2008 06:04 PM

Yes, all below the water-line... there are 6 of them below the water line.

Seacocks detest being left in one position for long, so the occasional cycle really helps them enormously. You really do not want them to stick on you, particularly sticking open.

Mine are nearly all the cone-and-seat type (well, "frustrum and seat" is probably more correct), and they only need a right angle turn. They also have a grease entry point on them, and that's useful also. Tun them to the closed position and inject some grease. It helps, but it's not quite as good as stripping them and greasing liberally.

Harvester 06-15-2008 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by negrini (Post 329316)
SD, my previous boat had 9 ! Distributed under aft berth, galey, fwd and aft bathroom. A pain on my weekends.

So, you actually opened and closed them all every time...

Hmmmm, I'm going to start closing them regularly.

Maine Sail 06-15-2008 09:00 PM

Yes I close..

I close them all every time I leave the boat. The head intake gets opened then closed at every use and never stays open for more than a few minutes at a time even if I'm on the boat..

max-on 06-15-2008 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halekai36 (Post 329372)
I close them all every time I leave the boat. The head intake gets opened then closed at every use and never stays open for more than a few minutes at a time even if I'm on the boat..

Same here, I keep them closed unless in use; I used to leave open the engine raw water as I have to remove the stairs and cover to access; however, this year SD convnced me to close the engine raw water seacock when I leave the boat, so now all closed when I leave the boat.