SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Stiff Shifter Yanmar 4JH2E volvo penta shifter/throttle (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/44157-stiff-shifter-yanmar-4jh2e-volvo-penta-shifter-throttle.html)

adam 06-15-2008 06:48 PM

Stiff Shifter Yanmar 4JH2E volvo penta shifter/throttle

Hi All.
our shifter is really getting tough, it's hard to find neutral, feels very sloppy,
Trying to find gears can be done, but,,, is there any maintance or adjustments to do?
thanks adam

Rockter 06-15-2008 07:31 PM

Adam...

I don't understand the mix of the Yanmar and the Volvo Penta items.

Is the shifter stiff, or sloppy?

adam 06-15-2008 10:37 PM

yes , i think this shifter ( volvo penta) is the standard used in this beneteau sailboat. it is single throw , shift and throttle, it's just not in gear
when the shifter says it should be,,

trantor12020 06-16-2008 07:56 AM

adam, perhaps you could disconnect the shifter cables from the lever and check whether the stiffness is at the lever gear mechanism or the cable/s.

djodenda 06-16-2008 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trantor12020 (Post 329549)
adam, perhaps you could disconnect the shifter cables from the lever and check whether the stiffness is at the lever gear mechanism or the cable/s.

I agree, and suspect it's the cable. If it is, it's probably a Teleflex Morse cable. if it is, don't waste your time trying to lube it. Replace the cable. It has been explained to me that these cables seize up because moisture penetrates the outer casing and the cable starts to rust. Eventually, they seize up completely!

Replace both your throttle and shifter cables at the same time. It's not much more additional work to do 'em both.

Before you pull the old cables, count and record the number of threads exposed at each end. This will make it easy for you duplicate the setup of the new cables and save you lots of monkeying around.

Also, inspect the old cables carefully. You're likely to find a place where the outer casing was rubbed away, which is probably the root cause of you problem. You should correct that.

The cables cost somewhere around $30 - $50. Beats pulling the transmission!

Good Luck!

David

adam 06-16-2008 10:40 AM

poor shifting

Hi All
thanks for the replys,
this is on a benetaeu 411, i was on another B 393 where the throttle cable broke.
this one seems like there is a little slack in the cable , and it not getting a full throw in the shift part.
i looked at both ends for a play adjustment, but it seems the only way is to take off one end and adjust it that way,,,

How hard is it to install new cables?

thanks
adam

djodenda 06-16-2008 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam (Post 329622)
Hi All

How hard is it to install new cables?

adam

Hopeful THE POWER OF SAILNET will provide someone with actual experience on your boat. It will depend, of course, how how the cable is routed through your boat.

As a reference, I did this on my Catalina 30 in about 3 hours. I had an Edson pedestal, and getting the cables removed and attached there was a bit of a pain. I had to remove my autopilot to do so. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, and had never done this before.

Vasco 06-16-2008 11:11 AM

The Volvo shifter is the only good thing Volvo ever made (based on my experience with a Volvo 2003, world's worst engine) but it needs to be lubricated once in a while. It is easy to take the shifter apart and grease it. Try this first.