Johnson 9.9 Problem, please help, dont know where to look for advice:( - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-15-2008

Everlong is on a distinguished road
Johnson 9.9 Problem, please help, dont know where to look for advice:(

Ok, here is the story, last year i purchased a 26 foot c&c. It came with an outboard, nice Johnson 9.9 with an electric start. The motor worked just fine last year, on the last day of the pull out it died, and wouldnt start for a while. it did start later on that day, but would not rev higher and bog. Few days ago while on my boat, i put new spark plugs in, the old ones were black, completely black, i remember that last year they looked normal. I cleaned them up put them in, the motor started just fine, didn't shake anymore, didn't bog, etc... i ran the motor for half an hour, and after that it would start to bog. Removed the spark plugs and they were black again. check the fuel filter, checked the oil level, checked the cables on the spark plugs etc. All this was done with brand new fresh gas. Somebody suggested that the fuel line might be faulty and that it might be sucking in air. I tried a different one. I have removed the carburator, sprayed it throughout with carb cleaner etc.
obviously it is running to rich and the fuel is not burning up. Where to look? any adjustments on the carb? there isn't too many screws/adjustments on it.
The motor is 2002/2003 model. 9.9 Johnson with electric start. It is a four stroke motor.
Please help, or tell me where to look for the problem.
Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
If the plugs are getting fouled I would not have thought it was sucking in air.

A couple of things: What condition is the tank in? Not full of grunge I hope?? Was the fuel filter clean? Is it using oil??

The idle mixture should normally be in the center position, but is easy to knock accidentally. What happens when you lean the idle mixture right out? Does the engine run smooth at idle or just conk out??
Old 06-15-2008

merttan is on a distinguished road
I have a evinrude 9.9 (1996)... It kept happening to me until the motor seized...
I was told to check those:
Fuel line, fuel filter, carburator float, water pump...
Mine died before I get to the water pump...
If you have marine insurance called them up and let them know, some insurance companies cover user fault motor failures and the worst case scenario they will pay for the inspection/diagnostics of the motor...
Good luck...

Materialism: Buying the things we don't need, with money we don't have, to impress people who don't matter.
Old 06-16-2008

timebandit is on a distinguished road
Did you turn the choke off?

Rick
Old 06-16-2008

rhaley is on a distinguished road
I'm not familiar with the Johnson 4 stroke models, but the older 2 stroke Johnson 9.9 motors have an ignition module that will go bad every few years from overheating. If the 4 stroke has such a module, check it out. All three of the Johnson 9.9 outboards I have worked on in the last three years had bad ignition modules. Good Luck!
Old 06-16-2008
seeker

feetup is on a distinguished road
Black dry spark plugs on a four stroke are a sure sign of over fueling. There are only four reasons common to this. 1) Butterfly choke stuck on, or closing by itself, or in the case of a fuel enrichment choke, deteriorated "O" rings; 2)Float, needle and seat---flooded or fuel soaked float, dirt under the needle, damaged seat etc. and 3) main jet loose or missing, or laying in the bottom of the carb..4) if there is an air cleaner, a plugged or soaked air cleaner will cause the ventury vacuum to climb, sucking way more fuel through the jet.

Feetup.
Old 04-22-2009

chips311 is on a distinguished road
i have a 9.5 1966 jonhson seahorse i would like to know how to remove the fly wheel thank you. in order to get to the cellinod.