Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-05-2008

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Look twice

Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post
Midlife - From what I was told, and having spoken to Harken about it, the "Cruising" furler is not anything like the Mk IV. It was designed to meet the price point of the production boat manufacturers that wanted to say they had Harken equipment on board. It is not built to the quality of the Mk IV and should not be compared to it.
I agree 100%!

Look at them side by side, you'll see the differences. The cruising unit also only has one track instead of two in the MK IV.

I don't understand the logic in even producing a product like this under a brand name like Harken. It reminds me of John Deere producing the Home Depot'ed version of their lawn tractors...brings the whole brand down so they can earn a few more $$$ to satisfy their shareholders.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 08-05-2008 at 10:32 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-2008

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
I agree 100%!

Look at them side by side, you'll see the differences. The cruising unit also only has one track instead of two in the MK IV.

I don't understand the logic in even producing a product like this under a brand name like Harken. It reminds me of John Deere producing the Home Depot'ed version of their lawn tractors...brings the whole brand down so they can earn a few more $$$ to satisfy their shareholders.

Two tracks matters not a whit to me since I don't change sails often, or in race conditions where a few seconds or minutes extra time taken swapping sails makes a difference. I'm a bay crusier with a 17 year old crusing boat. All I want is a reliable furler, that allows reefing. I don't care about the racing features or the .02 of a knot the aero foil provides.

However hearing that the quality of the units are that different is troubling. The Harken crusing unit is less than the MK IV, but its not really "cheap". It is in the same price range as crusing offerings from other lines like Profurl. I spoke to my local sail loft and he says he's sold a few of these units and the owners are pleased. This guy is a member of the YC where I crew and supports the local racing fleet. He has a good reputation so I was inclined to follow his advice. I guess I'm going to have to contact Harken and do some more due diligence before making a decsion.
Old 08-05-2008

Just offering some or the differences I could think of off the top of my head without looking at the stats for both, which I am sure your capable of doing yourself.

What are the quotes for the MKIV your getting? I ask because my marina is a Harken Dealer, and gets the best prices I could find anywhere up and down the bay. Maybe because I am a slip holder, maybe not, but if I remember correctly, I paid just over $2100.00 installed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 08-05-2008

The cruising units are fairly new and really have not had the opportunity to prove themselves one way or another. Hell, all furlers have had their problems I'm sure.

If there is one thing about Harken that I am confident of, is that they stand behind their product. If you have problems with it they will address it.

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 08-05-2008 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-05-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Just offering some or the differences I could think of off the top of my head without looking at the stats for both, which I am sure your capable of doing yourself.

What are the quotes for the MKIV your getting? I ask because my marina is a Harken Dealer, and gets the best prices I could find anywhere up and down the bay. Maybe because I am a slip holder, maybe not, but if I remember correctly, I paid just over $2100.00 installed.
I need to do some more research. The Harken Cruising unit #2 or the Profurl Basic were quoted at $2600, $3365 for the Mk IV all prices installed.
Old 08-05-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
For me..

For me the choice was very easy as I was able to see them side by side and all the Parts and pieces.

#1 The MK-IV has four more races of Torlon bearings that never need lubrication than does the Cruising.

#2 The MK-IV has unique independent upper & lower swivels. These swivels allow the head and tack to lag behind foil and allows the center of the sail to furl first for a much better reefed shape. With two extra rows of Torlon bearings in both the upper and lower drums that support this feature the sails furl easily even under load. That helps aid in a better sail shape when reefed and it WORKS! This is worth EVERY penny!!

#3 The adjustment factor is a BIG plus!

Is this stuff worth $397.00 more to you at MAP? I don't know but I gladly would have paid it and I did..

Pricing on a Unit 1, at MAP (minimum advertised price), shows a $397.00 difference between the MK-IV and the Cruising Furler. You DO NOT need a Unit 2 and a Unit 1 is more than enough for a C-36. I am running a Unit 1 on a 17,500+/- pound 36 footer with a 150 and it performs absolutely flawlessly and I've sailed her reefed in 40+ a fair number of times..

If you are being quoted an $800.00 difference your guy with the "good reputation" may not be treating you totally straight. Even the MAP difference between Unit 2's is only $615.00 not $800.00. There is ALWAYS more room than MAP pricing too. This is an EASY install and perhaps you may want to consider doing it your self to save some cake..

Using the "add to cart" option at PYacht, a reputable on-line retailer, the pricing is as follows;

MK-IV Unit 1 = $1359.89
Cruising Unit 1 = $1066.41

Difference = $293.48 (this is a far cry from $800.00)

MK-IV Unit 2 = $1965.60
Cruising Unit 2 = $1517.88

Difference = $447.72 (still a long way from $800.00)

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 08-05-2008 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-05-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post
I need to do some more research. The Harken Cruising unit #2 or the Profurl Basic were quoted at $2600, $3365 for the Mk IV all prices installed.

Call Oak Harbor Marina, ask for Ken, get a quote for the MK IV Unit 1 or 2. While your at it, ask him the differences between the two and other brands...he will gladly offer his opinion.

Oak Harbor: (410) 255-4070

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 08-05-2008

J36ZT is on a distinguished road
All I can say is the MKIV Unit 1 on a J/36 performed its trial run flawlessly, even with the crappy line supplied...no problems in both the furler and reefing modes. It was easy to install; took about two hours total to assemble onto the forestay even with reading the instructions step by step.

Amazingly, the best price I found for the MKIV was through Sailnet!

I don't know enough about the differences between the cruising models of furlers to make a judgement call. But, what I do know is Harken has a good reputation when it comes to furlers, and the MKIV has the features I felt would best suite my needs.

...but, that crappy line that it was supplied with HAS GOTTA' GO!

Skipper, J/36 "Zero Tolerance"
Old 08-05-2008

Thanks for the great input. I should add that I'm still waiting on a e-mail break down of the figures I gave and that we did discuss replacing the forestay as part of the install. Since he gave these as installed figures, my assumption is those prices include a new forestay.

Also, I appreciate the input on the Mk IV Unit 1 being adequate. There is a big difference in price there, and my boat is right on the dividing line per Harkens online guidelines.

Finally, Pyachts prices seem too good to be true. They are $300-$700 less than Defender (I got the real price not MAP) depending on the unit. ($410 less on the Mk IV #1) That big a difference hardly seems possible, but its apparently true.
Old 08-05-2008

Depending on what you go with, you may want to consider what you may need in addition. I got two more 7403 and one additional 7401 lead blocks for my boat.

Photo by Joe McCary