Non-Firearm Piracy Deterrents.. - Page 3 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 106 Old 06-17-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshi View Post
"I wouldn't exactly call that a debate; more like the NRA complaint thread."

No doubt where your coming from.
Oh, there is plenty of doubt. I am not even sure where I am headed half the time. My point was that even on that thread they aren't really debating whether or not cruising around with fireams is doable as much as lamenting that most places don't allow it. Believe it or not, if you could freely travel with a gun, then I probably would. But you can't. The OP started this thread to discuss alternatives because of that reality.

-Andy
Newport 17 - "Kohanna"
At sea Darwin's hypotheses is the final arbiter of right of way.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 106 Old 06-17-2008
the pointy end is the bow

Quote:
The OP started this thread to discuss alternatives because of that reality.
The reality is that Thailand can issue firearm licenses, so the stated premise for this thread was baloney to begin with.

ABC News: Know the Law Before Ruining Your Vacation

Ray
S.V. Nikko
1983 Fraser 41
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
post #23 of 106 Old 06-17-2008

Do a little more searching. It seems permits are no problem for most Thai nationals, but difficult or impossible for foreigners. I did not get that from an official source though. I just Googled and clicked on the first few and they were not offical but all said the same thing. Anyway, that's fodder for the other thread.

-Andy
Newport 17 - "Kohanna"
post #24 of 106 Old 06-17-2008

I have considered using a cattle prod. they come in varying lengths and are battery operated. For the unfortunate occasion of being boarded by some thug, reach out and touch someone, bzzzzzzzzzzzt. Not lethal but I am sure that you would have their attention. Of course I guess they could always use it on you, but the cows never seem to have that in mind when you are holding it, they move away, quickly. I think it could be effective as long as there wasn't a gun barrel pointed in your direction. May be illegal in other countries?
post #25 of 106 Old 06-17-2008
Swansea, MA

Dump a couple 5 gallon pails of bait fish on your deck, after a couple of days no one will be boarding the boat. I can attest to this, last year the blues came through my harbor and the dump ducks had a feast on the bait fish chased to the surface. They used my boat a place to rest between the blues feedings, between the crap and the bird puke. I didn't want to go on the boat myself. I am sure that nobody would of boarded with out a very good reason. Took hours to clean off. Spent the rest of the summer running a line above the boom and hanging the plastic owl, every weekend.

Patrick

S/V "Fat-Kat"
C&C 32, Hull #237
Mt. Hope Bay
post #26 of 106 Old 06-17-2008

There is a paradox (maybe not quite the right term) - you want it to appear that there will be detection and/or resistence to intrusion yet at the same time try not to make it look like there is anything especially valuable aboard. The further away the deterrent works, the better. If someone engages you hand to hand, they are pretty committed. One idea might be to have some obvious blinking sensors around the perimeter. But you don't want to look too highly secure or I think you tempt thieves who think you must have something really valuable.

-Andy
Newport 17 - "Kohanna"
post #27 of 106 Old 06-17-2008 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
Also, it's not a given that having firearms on board isn't worth the trouble. If it were a given, it wouldn't be a topic for debate.
One of the important things about having a discussion is starting with the same givens, though. So while I agree it may or may not be a given, I ask that we take it as a given for *this* thread so *this* thread doesn't go down the same path that the other one did.

Quote:
The reality is that Thailand can issue firearm licenses, so the stated premise for this thread was baloney to begin with.
Far from baloney, merely uninformed question asking, since, you know, I had no idea Thailand issued firearm licenses until you brought it up. SO, how easy is it for a foreigner in Thailand to get a firearms license? I'm certainly curious, and certainly an American Gun Owner, so I'm not asking to patronize, just asking for information.

Pretty interesting that the cops raid night clubs and force pee tests in Thailand, and can throw you in jail for failing the test. Yeesh. It's also funny that badmouthing the King gets you 3+ years in jail. Not sure I want to own a gun there, heh.

beej67, Checkered Past, 1980 32' Pearson 323, Panama City FL
post #28 of 106 Old 06-17-2008
the pointy end is the bow

Permits are difficult for foreigners to get in Thailand, but apparently not impossible. From another forum:

Quote:
mspsl....I have also inquired about getting a firearm as well. A gun shop told my brother-in-law that only Thai nationals could own guns, however he said if a Thai family member registered it in his/her name and accompanied me to the shooting range it would be no problem. Also, for 4,000 baht extra the gun shop can do all the paperwork/licensing stuff for you which takes about a month I think. Later on I read somewhere that a foreigner can get a gun permit but only if your name is on the house registration which I believe means you would need Permanent Residence. Perhaps it's possible to get on the house registration without PR but I'm not sure. I don't know if gun ranges here would check to see who owns the gun(s) when you go to shoot but where I lived in the US they never check. Since you're a foreigner who knows what they may ask if you show up for an afternoon of target practice. If you or a Thai that you know has a friend in law enforcement I would definitely see what they say...the process may be easier than we think.
The cost of guns/ammo here is WAY higher than in the US due to import taxes and such plus airguns are regulated by the same laws as firearms. If you can get one, a .22 may be all you can afford to shoot over here You can always go for archery and wristrockets as they could never be classified as firearms. Good luck!
Thailand Forum > Permit

Ray
S.V. Nikko
1983 Fraser 41
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
post #29 of 106 Old 06-17-2008
1977 Morgan OI 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha_V View Post
I've always been of the opinion that fire extinguishers are far from uni-taskers.

It is hard to have larceny on your mind when your lungs are full of nasty choking chemicals and your eyes are streaming and raw. get the timing right and follow with a swift kick overboard and causing you further inconvenience will be the last thing on someone's mind.

Sasha
Yes, or you can smack them over the head with the steel tank first. This works. They'll get the point

My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.
Cary Grant

Last edited by Joesaila; 06-17-2008 at 03:16 PM.
post #30 of 106 Old 06-17-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by beej67 View Post
Pretty interesting that the cops raid night clubs and force pee tests in Thailand, and can throw you in jail for failing the test. Yeesh. It's also funny that badmouthing the King gets you 3+ years in jail. Not sure I want to own a gun there, heh.
Yeah, gettting a piece of paper that says you can own a gun and being allowed to brandish a weapon when you feel threatened are two distinctly different things.

Isn't it actually more on the way to and from there (outside Thai jurisdiction) where the greatest concern is?

-Andy
Newport 17 - "Kohanna"

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.