Join Date: Dec 2000
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 15
Prout Catamaran Maintenance
I was wondering if anyone else out there is sailing a Prout catamaran. After some frankly scary discoveries on ours, I am wondering how many others have had similar experiences with their boats.
* Structural defects caused the boat to come undone: Windows cracked, joinery opened, surfaces inside and outside the boat split.
* Prout drained the cockpit onto the engine, not overboard.
* Our Masthead pins for the stays are regular steel, not the stainless ones supplied by Z-Spar and are rusting profusely.
* A hatch that usually covers the steering ram could not hold water out.
* Our electrical system did not meet ABYC standards, could have caused a fire.
* Etc. Etc. Etc.
If you want to read the whole story, go to vonwentzel.net and check out the Prout section. There are 6.5Mb of 40k pictures illustrating all the things we have had to contend with so far. I hope this is not normal...