Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-17-2008

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
What is your propeller ?

I had a VOLVO 3 blade folding and loved that. I see today, many different brands in market (Autoprop, Flex-o-fold, Variprop, Gori, etc folding, feathering) and get a little confused on wich one I'll pick for incoming boat. Rather reading technical articles, would prefer to hear oppinions from real world ? Thanks in advance ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Two blade, fixed.
Works well and can be aligned with the long keel on a long run.
Reliable, and relatively cheap.
It's a heavy ship, at close to 11 ton, so it does not really need the folding stuff.
Old 06-17-2008

funsailthekeys is on a distinguished road
Can't tell under all the gunk.
Old 06-17-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
3 blade maxprop. came with the boat
Old 06-17-2008

IslandRaider is on a distinguished road
I currently run a 3 blade fixed that came with the boat but I am not overly happy with the performance, Max Prop has just come out with a 4 blade varible pitch which I am looking at. they are priciey but you can get better thrust at a lower RPM and you can also set the pitch for the boat and engine combo for maximum performance and it self feathers onder under sail
Old 06-17-2008

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
I put an AutoProp on my previous Catalina 320 after 2 years with a 3 blade fixed, and a short experiment with a Matec 2 blade folder, and liked the AutoProp for 4 years. My Nauticat came with an owner installed AutoProp and I still like it into my 3rd year. It seems to do all it says - which is to try get the best out of all the facets of sailing and Especially Motorsailing because of its autopitching which for me now is the most important.
The only downside I've seen in person and in other forums - besides the obscene price $,$$$ - is that many seem to come slightly over pitched. Not the Trail of Black Smoke and not reaching full RPMs - badly overpitched, But some soot showing up on the hull. It seems that because they actually change pitch it's a very fine line between getting the extra torque/speed at low rpm (which most users report) and going too far over-pitched and over working the diesel at certain RPMs.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 06-17-2008
... a logical conclusion

Sequitur is on a distinguished road
After a year of sailing with the three blade that came with the boat, I had a four blade 22" VariProp installed four weeks ago. Since then I've had only 18 days of cruising with it, but so far it has met or exceeded all my expectations. I love its smooth operation, the noticeable additional speed in light airs, the quietness without the shaft turning over, the increased power astern and the reduced prop walk.

I chose it because the shaft did not need to be modified, the zinc is large and easily replaceable and the pitch stops can be easily adjusted in the water. The superb German engineering is an added bonus.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1908 Wildschut Skűtsje

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-17-2008
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
Three blade Maxprop. Lots of fun getting the pitch right.
Old 06-18-2008

mallo is on a distinguished road
Had a fixed three bladed prop, now have a feathering three bladed Max Prop, have had it for the last 8 Years, very pleased with it, part of a bigger up-grade now sailing more and more, it was expensive when we bought it but now probably at the current fuel prices we will be saving a small fortune.
We find the handling the same in ahead but quite different in astern. However sailing in light airs have transformed the boat.
She I a fairly heavy boat (20 Tonnes) but the prop works well, wouldn’t have it any other way.
Old 06-18-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I too have a max prop, but 2 blade, that I got with the boat. Previous owner said they got .5-1 knot more boat speed sailing over the fixed prop.

Generally speaking, not difference tween forward and reverse as far as handling. The note about getting pitch correct, could be an issue, as I am not able to get to full hull speed from my knot meter, but it may be reading slow.

Marty

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.