Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-19-2008

dave6330 is on a distinguished road
Thanks Rick - I'm going to use your post to trouble shoot the wiring harness REAL soon! Question though: Does this sort of thing get worse with time or am I in kind of a steady state holding pattern? The answer will drive the priority I give this particular maintenance task....

"Fight the good fight, holding on to faith and a good conscience. Some have rejected these and so have shipwrecked thier faith"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-19-2008
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
It gets worse as the wiring deteriorates. Many folks, such as I, tolerated it for years but in the backs of our minds we're always worried about the time we really need a start and nothing happens. Eventually we fix it, not a difficult task.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-07-2008
Re-Member

welshwind is on a distinguished road
I just posted my recent experience and what appears to have solved the problem in another thread. Check the switch posts and make sure they are secure.

"To reach the port of heaven, we must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it - but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor.”
- Oliver Wendel Holmes
Old 10-09-2009

PalmettoPirate is on a distinguished road
Guys, My engine just sputtered and stopped. I kept pressing the starter button but only to hear the engine whine like it was trying to start....no avail. The engine was not out of fuel, and now I can not even get the engine to turn over. Any advice out there?
Old 10-09-2009

PalmettoPirate is on a distinguished road
Oh sorry, 1 cylinder Yanmar 7.5 hp
Old 10-10-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Just because there is fuel in the tank it doesn't mean it's getting to the cylinder. Could be a fuel feed problem, filters possibly. If you have an electric fuel pump like I do on my Yanmar YSE8 it could be a wire off it or a bad connection. Check to see that the fuel pump is running with the ignition turned on. All I can think of besides this is high pressure pump but try the other ideas (the less expensive ones ) first. Hope this helps.
Brian
Old 10-10-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Also, you're best to start a new thread when you have another question as I only stumbled onto this by mistake. Most I think would see it's an old thread and give it a pass.
Brian
And welcome to Sailnet
Old 08-22-2010

flechtsp is on a distinguished road
Yanmar 2GM20 Starter Problem

From the many posts it is clear that this is a common problem with Yanmar engines as they begin to age. My problem was the same as that reported by so many others. Frequently, at the most inopportune time, the engine would fail to start with no response from the starter button. Eventually, after 30 to 120 seconds, the engine would finally kick over.

I can attest to the fix that others have suggested. Installation of a relay between the starter button and the starter solenoid solved the problem. Now the engine starts without fail even after several hours of sailing with electronics and refrigerator drawing on the batteries. It takes a couple of hours to install a 30 amp relay as close to the starter solenoid as possible, using 10 gauge wiring to minimize any voltage drop between the relay and the starter.

I don't know if corrosion or just undersized wiring caused the problem, but a couple of hours of labor and $35 worth of parts and a few feet of heavier gauge wire did the trick for me on my Beneteau 311.

The folks at Inlet Marine Services were kind enough to provide a wiring diagram and suggest which Carquest relay and pigtail will work. Contact them at inletmarineservices at comcast.net
Old 09-23-2012

sailgait is on a distinguished road
Re: Yanmar Starter

Thank you to everyone who knowledgeably contributed to this thread.

I have a 3GM30F -- Installed in 2000. Long story short: nothing happened when I pushed the starter button on the panel. The remote starter down below also did nothing.

I feared something serious and outside of my skills ability to diagnose or repair. But before calling the (new) yard, I asked the internet about the problem & found this thread.

The problem was the white wire, but w/a slightly different spin. The motor was taken out last year to install new new motor mounts. The (old) yard did a poor reinstallation job. (Did I mention, for example, the bolts on the drive shaft came off after about 3 hours of operation?)

With your help on this thread, I learned how to track down the white wire and discovered the screw holding it onto the solenoid had loosened. (Surprise, surprise. Thank you former boat yard).

This explained why both the switch on the control panel and the remote switch down below didn't work.

Anyway, I just wanted to send a thanks along.