Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-19-2008

kimbersleep is on a distinguished road
Question I want to paint my boat

My husband and I purchased a 1976 Oday 27 last year, we are newbies at sailing. I bottom painted the boat at the beginning of this season,...probably the first time it was done in 10 years! Now I want to top paint, BUT, I don't have a clue as to the best way to prep the boat or as to which paint would be the best. We are moored in Lake Champlain. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-19-2008
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
For the topsides, you may want to consider the Interlux two-part paints. But you will need to take safety precautions if you use a two-part because the stuff is highly toxic. The Interlux website explains how to do the prep work. However, before you resort to paint, have you tried rubbing compound and a heavy duty buffer? There was a great thread on the process and results not that long ago. The only problem with paint is once you cross that threshold there is no turning back.
Old 06-19-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Why not..

Why not re-condition the existing top sides if they are gelcoat?

It can be done for a LOT less time and MONEY than paint!!!

Before:

During:

Before and After:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 06-19-2008

Thanks for the responses so far. I've been asking around the marina, and I've been getting a different answer from every sailboat owner! It's kind of tough being a newbie, I didn't even think of just reconditioning the gel coat.
Old 06-19-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Kimber,
There is a lot of information out, various products and methods. All of them come with a budget. You'd be better off reading a couple of DIY magazines or using the search engine here on sailnet to dig thru past postings and articles that detail all the options.
Technology and products change over time, so pay attention to article and posting dates - and in particular pay attention to what Halekai36 says, he's about the best I've seen here on how to make a boat not only pretty, but amazing.
Old 06-19-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbersleep View Post
My husband and I purchased a 1976 Oday 27 last year, we are newbies at sailing. I bottom painted the boat at the beginning of this season,...probably the first time it was done in 10 years! Now I want to top paint, BUT, I don't have a clue as to the best way to prep the boat or as to which paint would be the best. We are moored in Lake Champlain. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
If the boat is white, you can probably cleanup the gelcoat very nicely with a little ( or a lot) of elbow grease, Go at it.

if the boat is a colored gelcoat, paint it, don't waste your time trying to bring it back, even if you do, it'll only last a few weeks before looking like before.
Old 06-19-2008

merttan is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard...
Congrats...
Please leave your wallet and loan applications at the marina's cashier...

I waxed my top side, shined up for season...
Gelcoating is the better option since the topside probably haven't received enough attention by previous owner(s)...
But if it's color you fancy, there are options, expensive one's, to pick from... Though don't forget, topside painting means removing all the equipment off the boat before you start the project... So, I'd keep that project starting the next season... Just wax it, wax it wax it... Then next year before the season begins you can initiate the paint job...
Afterall, paints require certain temperature windows and like shade location...
Go ahead and have fun this year...

Materialism: Buying the things we don't need, with money we don't have, to impress people who don't matter.
Old 06-20-2008

Thanks so much for all the input I was definitely nervous posting a questions being a newbie at sailing and also a newbie to this site. I should of been more specific is saying that I had no intention of painting the ENTIRE topside, just an approx 8" strip at the top where it is blue now, and poorly painted over the white gelcoat by the previous owner. As you all know, I have zero experience with marine paint, er, more closely marine anything , but I have a lot when it comes to the interior of a house. I've learned that all the prep work is the majority of the work. Thanks for cluing me in about reconditioning, ie., compound and buffer. But here's a new question, how do I prep for the new paint over the old? It's presently a dim navy color, and I want to paint it in the dark navy family to match the new mail sail cover Overall, I think my whole situation will just require A LOT of elbow grease
Old 06-20-2008
Shaken-not Stirred

capngregg is on a distinguished road
Cool

Choose the highest quality paint brand (paint system) you can afford. In many cases cost does make a difference in the final appearance of the paint job. Some "brand" name paints are overpriced but there are many high quality paint systems out there that yield professional results with amateur skills.

Use the internet to find the paint/system you want and follow their instructions to the letter for optimum results. For those of us who have experienced the various processes in intimate detail, we know "how-to" in our minds but if we tried to write it all out here in this forum, we would unintentionally leave out some important detail. (speaking for myself anyway)

Since the instructions are already written by the pro's and manufacturers, it is best to just follow their instructions. Just as in any endeavor, preparation always yields the best result.

Have fun with it and don't be afraid. The worst that can happen is you get to learn to do it again and practice makes perfect. As with sailing, it's a labor of love.

Just Google "two part polyurethane paint" and you'll get all kinds of information.
Good Luck!

Last edited by capngregg; 06-20-2008 at 11:57 AM. Reason: wording and spelling
Old 06-20-2008

Love that tag "steel knees", capngregg. My knees started out last year like jello, now they're more like frozen yogurt! I'm hoping by the end of this season they'll at least be "tin knees"