SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Potable water friendly sealant (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/44288-potable-water-friendly-sealant.html)

otaga05 06-20-2008 12:56 PM

Potable water friendly sealant

deleted

sailingdog 06-20-2008 01:31 PM

My guess is that you should be using a silicone sealant for that. Many non-silicone sealants tend to have toxic components. :)

kmusbach 06-21-2008 01:16 PM

We had a similar issue a couple of years ago on one of our water tank seams. We used a product called Belzona and it worked great. It is my understanding that the mega yachts keep this stuff on hand as it can be applied in water. It worked great!!!!!!

sailingdog 06-22-2008 07:49 AM

That's a good excuse. :)

BTW, Belzona is a brand of products, and the one you might wan to look at is their SuperMetalGLide 1341, which is NSF approved for Potable water systems. However, the Belzona products probably aren't as good for sealing a leaking port as silicone sealant would be. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by otaga05 (Post 331949)
Thanks for the suggestions SD and kmusbach. Sorry for not responding sooner, but I was off sailing!

NauticalFishwife 06-22-2008 01:47 PM

As long as you're on the subject of water tanks... I have a ? Our water tank is the original tank. It's aluminum, but had been painted. Of course the paint, after 20 years is chipping off in places. It comes off in chips. I've power washed it to get as much off as possible and we simply don't drink that water. Although at our age, who cares if it causes slight brain damage... who would know. Any suggestions short of replacing the tank. 80 gallons and a pain to get it out if it has to be removed.

sailingdog 06-22-2008 02:31 PM

CeramKote54 epoxy coating of the tank would probably do the trick nicely. It is an epoxy based coating designed for potable water tanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NauticalFishwife (Post 332010)
As long as you're on the subject of water tanks... I have a ? Our water tank is the original tank. It's aluminum, but had been painted. Of course the paint, after 20 years is chipping off in places. It comes off in chips. I've power washed it to get as much off as possible and we simply don't drink that water. Although at our age, who cares if it causes slight brain damage... who would know. Any suggestions short of replacing the tank. 80 gallons and a pain to get it out if it has to be removed.

mikeedmo 06-22-2008 02:47 PM

We used the Belzona 1121 on our water tanks, two part, easy to mix and apply and (I don't want to jinx us) but the tank doesn't leak any more. It is very expensive though, but it kept us from having to take our tanks out (lots of wood work required) and replacing them. Our alternative was looking at plastic tank inserts, an idea we didn't really like but had been recommended.

NauticalFishwife 06-22-2008 04:40 PM

Gosh I love this forum! I'm going to investigate both of these suggestions. Thank you guys. Our tank would have to come out in pieces so we too looked at a plastic tank that would fit inside the original. But that seemed to get a bit complicated. And our original tank doesn't leak. AND my arms are not long enough to reach down and get the chips out of the bottom of the tank! One of these might just be the answer. Thanks again.