Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-22-2008

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
Snake on a Boat

OK, not quite sure where to post this but here it goes...

I have been traveling for the past three months and haven't been out to my boat. I keep the boat at a wet slip on Lake Travis outside of Austin, Texas. I went out to my boat this morning and the first thing I saw was a large snake skin leading from under the hatch cover into the space that it slides into. This was a big snake skin (snake was probably at least 2" in diameter). I climbed aboard (looking around cautiously). I opened the hatch cover and looked inside. There were three places where a snake had regurgitated the fish bones of a meal on the sole. But there was not a visible snake. The cabin did not have a smell of snake (yes they do have a smell) and it didn't smell like the snake had died in there. Needless to say I was a bit dismayed about going into the cabin as I was in shorts and flip flops.

I opened the port lazerette as it gives easy access to the engine and space under the cockpit. Much to my surprise, there was another snake skin! This one was at least 6 feet long. Again, no visible snake.

So, now to my question, does anyone know how to get a snake out of a boat?

I didn't have my camera with me but I am going back to the boat tomorrow and will take pictures.

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

s/v Zotz 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch Hull #375
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2008
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road
I have a stick with a loop at the end that can be tightened that I made.
Catching snake skins is easy.
or,
Wait till he leaves and move the boat. That'll fix em'.
Old 06-22-2008
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
wow! not sure. you can always advertise to the RIF RAF that you have expensive electronics on board and let them have a look around

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
Old 06-22-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Maybe it's time to move up to a bigger boat, and time to sell. (g)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-22-2008

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road
Allanbc,

Two snake skins might mean two (or more) snakes. This from Snake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"An older snake may shed its skin only once or twice a year, but a younger, still-growing snake, may shed up to four times a year."
Old 06-22-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Do you know what kind of snake it is??? If it is a common black water snake, that's not much of an issue...if it is a water moccasin, then you got a problem.

If you can seal up the openings he's using to get in the boat, that should help...but you need to find him and evict him—carefully.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-22-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesail99 View Post
Maybe it's time to move up to a bigger boat, and time to sell. (g)
Wanna buy a boat with a crew?

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

Old 06-22-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasSailer View Post
Allanbc,

Two snake skins might mean two (or more) snakes. This from Snake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"An older snake may shed its skin only once or twice a year, but a younger, still-growing snake, may shed up to four times a year."
Two snakes is a possibility that I had thought of. It could be just lucky that one snake shed twice. That is possible because it has been very warm (makes snakes active) and there is evidence of multiple meals. I just hope I don't have baby snakes!

Old 06-22-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Do you know what kind of snake it is??? If it is a common black water snake, that's not much of an issue...if it is a water moccasin, then you got a problem.

If you can seal up the openings he's using to get in the boat, that should help...but you need to find him and evict him—carefully.
Not sure what kind since I haven't seen it. We have many different types of water snakes here and, because of the size, I would suspect a diamondback water snake. They are pretty harmless but will bite if provoked. It could be a water moccasin but I think it would be unlikely. I asked at the marina office and they said they usually only see water snakes and not moccasins. But hey, you never know.

I'm probably going to call a friend who is a herpetologist and see if he will come hunting for a six pack!

Old 06-22-2008

AA3NK is on a distinguished road
Snake B-Gone!

What you need is some snake B-gone, aka cat litter, that has had some cat urine on it. Or, if you really want to be sure there is no snake aboard or be rid of it if there is, borrow a Jack Russell and let it do what they do very well.

If the snake is six feet long, it is not likely a water moccassin, they seldom get so long and if they do they are very thick.

Can you take the skin to the local DNR or game warden type of folks for them to have a look. My guess is that they will know the type of snake just from seeing the skin and based on the territory you are describing.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.