Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-23-2008

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Question Soundproofing/Insulation Materials ???

I want to replace/add some soundproofing/insulation around the engine, the original stuff is tired at best, not mention there is not a lot of it

The intent is to reduce/contain the heat to the engine room and reduce sound. I did a search on Sailnet, we know how that goes , and googled the topic with a lot of choices, some seem pretty $$$$?

Engine soundproofing Insulation Barrier Marine

Sound Insulation: Marine Sound Insulation

Insulation materials - all the Manufacturers | Boat | Marine | Nautical | Suppliers | - NauticExpo

What have you used and are you pleased with the result?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Have a look at THIS.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-23-2008
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
I want to replace/add some soundproofing/insulation around the engine, the original stuff is tired at best, not mention there is not a lot of it

The intent is to reduce/contain the heat to the engine room and reduce sound. I did a search on Sailnet, we know how that goes , and googled the topic with a lot of choices, some seem pretty $$$$?

Engine soundproofing Insulation Barrier Marine

Sound Insulation: Marine Sound Insulation

Insulation materials - all the Manufacturers | Boat | Marine | Nautical | Suppliers | - NauticExpo

What have you used and are you pleased with the result?
chef I haven't done this project yet so can't offer personal opinionsbut these two products have recrived good reviews in my research:
Soundown - The Worldwide Leader in Noise Control Engineering
The Official Dynamat Website

good luck,
mitch

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 06-23-2008

BovaMarine is on a distinguished road
Fellow sailor here. How much area and how thick are you looking to go on the sound insulation. I have 1/2" to 2" material.
Old 06-23-2008

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
I had 1/2" before and was looking to improve isolation also. I went to 3/4" and no good results at all. I learned that size matters, so go for the thickiest room and budget allow; use one that include thermal isolation. I found that leaving non insulated gaps (pannel joint, openings, floor, etc...) really frustrate your entire work, so pay a lot of attention to the finish and make sure you cover as much as you can, without gaps. If you go that way, it will demand blower installation as well, but you'll be glad with results.
Old 06-23-2008

BovaMarine is on a distinguished road
Sound Insulation

Size does matter when it comes to noise attenuation. You mentioned that you went from 1/2" to 3/4” Did this material have a barrier septum sandwich between the foam or was it just foam. To get good result you must have a barrier septum. A barrier septum can be lead sheeting or Mass loaded vinyl barrier. The density of this barrier will make a difference. A barrier that has a mass of 2 psf will be more effective than a barrier that is only 1psf. Doubling the mass of the barrier will contribute to a 6dB(A) difference in sound transmission loss. This is called the “Mass Law”.

Foam is a good absorber of sound waves but is a poor insulator for sound waves. The barrier is a poor absorber but an effective insulator. Using the foam with a barrier will give you the best of both worlds. The foam cuts down on reverberation noise within the engine compartment while the barrier acts like a wall, by preventing some of the sounds waves that are traveling through the open cells of the foam from exciting the vessel structure. This is why the heavy 2psf barrier is more effective than the 1psf. The more dense the mass (barrier) the harder it is for the noise to go through. Without this barrier sandwich in the middle of the foam you will not have anything blocking the sound waves from traveling through the foam. The first barrier it is going to hit is the vessel structure, i.e. engine box, bulkhead separating the quarter berth form the engine compartment etc.

As you know you will never get rid of all the noise. If ¾” foam is the maximum you can physically use, then you should go with a ¾” foam with a 2psf barrier septum. Every little bit helps. ¾” foam alone, without a barrier septum, will not give you all that much in the way of noise attenuation.

Please make sure that you have a good gasketing system around your removable panels. Noise leakage will compromise a good sound insulation treatment.

I hope this helps
BovaMarine
Old 06-23-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I just bought 20 gallons of this stuff:

Mascoat Products — Worldwide Leaders in Insulation Coatings

I'll let you all know how it works out. I have an engine and tankage to remove first....sometime this summer.
Old 06-24-2008
Tartan 37C

T37SOLARE is on a distinguished road
Chef,

SOLARE came with new sound insulation installed by the PO. No idea what brand it is, but it's about 1" thick foam with a silver foil outer covering, and it works great.

Your more than welcome to come on down and check it out.

Cheers,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SOLARE
T-37 #442