Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-23-2008

nk235 is on a distinguished road
Plus one for the Manson Supreme

There always seems to be a lot of anchor talk and suggestions on here and I used a lot of it to make my decision of an anchor for my new boat I just bought. I have a 32 Morgan 323 that displaces 11,000. The boat had a 25lb CQR with 35 feet of chain and 200' nylon rode. I decided to go with a 35lb Manson Supreme and to keep the same rode setup. Finally put it to the test this weekend.

This past Friday night I anchored inbetween Port Jeff Harbor and Conscience bay just south of Old Field Beach which is a very popular spot to anchor up. My good buddy rafted up to me for the night with his 25' Parker Pilot House. Three different weather sites said 0% chance of Tstorms after 9pm. Woke up about 1am to the sound of thunder. By the time both my buddy and I put on our jacketts, the rain and wind picked up to the strongest I think I have ever seen it. Whitecaps in the little section of harbor we were in, our boats getting turned and tossed around, the wind and rain were coming so hard that I couldn't see the shoreline which was only 20 yards from us let a lone anything else. The radar on my computer showed a huge dark red cell directly over us that lasted for about 10 minutes before the wind and rain died down. We then sat in the cockpit unwinding our nerves and watching some of the most spectacular lighting I have ever seen. I am no expert at judging wind speeds but I have been out when it was blowing 25-35 and this felt much stronger than that so I am guessing it was gusting into the 40s. Luckily that part of it only lasted about 10 mins. Anyone who lives on Long Island or the surrounding area would have heard that storm Friday night.

Anyway though we didn't move an inch. I did have 8:1 scope out because the anchorage wasn't crowded Friday night but I also had a 25' pilot house boat rafted onto me. It was my first major storm while at anchor but I can definetly say I have a lot of confidence in the new anchor setup. So chalk another one up for the Manson Supreme.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The people who haven't used the next generation anchors, don't realize the difference in performance. The Manson Supreme, Rocna, Buegel and Spade are definitely a major improvement over the older designs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-23-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
What kind of windlass are you using to pull up your Manson Supreme ?
Old 06-23-2008

nk235 is on a distinguished road
Lofrans Project 1000 Windlass. If I didn't have that I don't know how I would get the damn anchor back on deck. I usally slowly motor up on the anchor and take in the slack with the windlass than once I get it close to verticle the windlass kicks in its muscle and pulls it out along with an extra 20lbs of mud. It would be tough to do it by hand. Thank you to the previous owner for adding that puppy before I bought the boat.
Old 06-23-2008

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
NK (that should be nk323 now ?), I appreciate much your description. 2 hours ago I was just reading the Manson benefits, but a bit skeptical on merchant ads. I'm an old Bruce user, and loved it for many years, but since I'm commissioning a new boat, I feel the need to be open to new generation. I'll give it a try. Thanks.
Old 06-25-2008

RyszardP is on a distinguished road
I have Ericson 32 with a 35 lb Manson Supreme ,35 ft of cain and 600' nylon rod[5/8].The Mansom Supreme is so good,is setting on the first try.Have never dragged.I don't have a windlas,so I have to relay on my muscles.
Old 06-26-2008
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
35 lbs anchor by hand must not be fun. I just replaced my smaller Fortress with FX-23 which weights like 16 lbs and I am glad a windlass is doing the pulling for me. I would be afraid to have 35 lbs anything lashed to the foredeck, sitting on the roller, to be honest. What if it breaks free during bad weather underway?
Old 06-26-2008

jimmalkin is on a distinguished road
Brak - re: breaking free while on the roller. We have an 88# Rocna for our 50 cutter. To keep it from moving in a seaway or in weather, we do the following: The inboard end of the stock - at the connection to the shackle - rests between two ss "ears" and have a heavy capture pin that locks that end. I have a wooden plug that I jam under the captured end to eliminate vibration/movement. The head of the anchor at the roller rests adjacent to the bow pulpit and is lashed to the leg of the pulpit at the stem.

We have been through some real motion and have had no problem to date. The lashing is quick to remove (could be cut if an emergency) and the wooden plug pulls out with a piece of line - which also is attached to the pullpit (to keep it from going walk-about.)

In an offshore passage, anchors should be taken off rollers and lashed on deck or better yet, stowed low and tight below (although I can't fit or manhandle the Rocna into the bilge!)

White Rabbit
Vineyard Haven
Old 06-26-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I have a piece of 3/8" line tied to the rollbar of my Rocna 33 lb. anchor that is tied off to the bow pulpit stanchion adjacent to the bow roller. The anchor doesn't move at all when sailing, and is secure enough that my crew has used the anchor fluke as a step when working on the forestay.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-26-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk235 View Post
There always seems to be a lot of anchor talk and suggestions on here and I used a lot of it to make my decision of an anchor for my new boat I just bought. I have a 32 Morgan 323 that displaces 11,000. The boat had a 25lb CQR with 35 feet of chain and 200' nylon rode. I decided to go with a 35lb Manson Supreme and to keep the same rode setup. Finally put it to the test this weekend.

This past Friday night I anchored inbetween Port Jeff Harbor and Conscience bay just south of Old Field Beach which is a very popular spot to anchor up. My good buddy rafted up to me for the night with his 25' Parker Pilot House. Three different weather sites said 0% chance of Tstorms after 9pm. Woke up about 1am to the sound of thunder. By the time both my buddy and I put on our jacketts, the rain and wind picked up to the strongest I think I have ever seen it. Whitecaps in the little section of harbor we were in, our boats getting turned and tossed around, the wind and rain were coming so hard that I couldn't see the shoreline which was only 20 yards from us let a lone anything else. The radar on my computer showed a huge dark red cell directly over us that lasted for about 10 minutes before the wind and rain died down. We then sat in the cockpit unwinding our nerves and watching some of the most spectacular lighting I have ever seen. I am no expert at judging wind speeds but I have been out when it was blowing 25-35 and this felt much stronger than that so I am guessing it was gusting into the 40s. Luckily that part of it only lasted about 10 mins. Anyone who lives on Long Island or the surrounding area would have heard that storm Friday night.

Anyway though we didn't move an inch. I did have 8:1 scope out because the anchorage wasn't crowded Friday night but I also had a 25' pilot house boat rafted onto me. It was my first major storm while at anchor but I can definetly say I have a lot of confidence in the new anchor setup. So chalk another one up for the Manson Supreme.
Good testimonial. Glad it held. We get those fairly frequently in Texas and Fl (esp Fl in the summer).

I had a Delta that I am a fan of. I have not tried the Manson. My only issue with it is how it fits on a roller. Looks like it might be kinda funky, especially if you have more than one anchor. Still, I have heard great things about how she holds.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook: